Thread: trane compressors

Post Likes
    iwas doing a pm on a trane m\n-fadao4o4fbo4oo11oooa147,s\n-t03k67871$. unit has two scroll compressors in parallel,found one shorted to ground & acid test came back posotive.unit is still under warranty & trane said they would only warranty one compressor. my question is would'nt the other compressor be at risk with the acid in the system.sight glass shows moisture in the system,it's black.would'nt the customer be taking a gamble by changing only the bad compressor,thanks for any advice

Post Likes
    I would inform customer of you concerns. I have had the same issue and customer opted for only changing the shorted compressor and system is still running. Wish there had been a method to do a complete oil change at least. Cover yourself and let the customer decide.

Post Likes
    change the one under warrenty,and change the oil on the other let them both run for 2 ours shut down and dump the oil on both with an oil test with the dump..you'll see the acid will start to work its way out.if you have a replaceble core dryer pull the core prior to any start up.continue the run/oil changes till you get no color change(purple stays solid)on the acid test kit...then install the core dryer back in or repalce the swet LL if the customer will go for what is a clan up of the sysytem.the oil travling thru the system will wash it back to the sump for changing,the other compressor might of been running when the first took a dump and sent the burn into the system,on single circuit scrolls the burn stays mostly within the compressor on a dead short.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to this kinda thing.
    I've got no problem with the run & change idea but I would add a suction core holder to the mix, pulling the cores when done of course.
    Make sure the core holder is installed as not to trap oil.
    All my leon freaked out!

Post Likes
    i had a york semi that went nuclear and installed a new compressor and freon and contactors.then proceeded to run the unit for 1 hour,dumped oil,meg windings up in the 50,000 range due to the acid still within the system.after 8 oil changes and testing each dump the meg went up to 100,000 and had purple on sporlan test.i then put the cores in the LL and let it run for the season with a check back on acid test during follow-up inspections.never used tat white bottle of stuff that you add and leave it in..does it work and what about the windings and dryers over time....and the TXV?
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Install suction dryer w proper cores and add acid neutilizer and keep testing oil and replace cores several times. Definitly let customer know about possible problems w other compressors in future

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in