Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Dear Forum,

I have a brand new Rheem indoor/outdoor AC units for my remodeled house. It was installed the summer of 05 and we were under construction and now running it 06. It is two zones. The Tech started them up and both wre running fine. Lately the 1st floor was not cooling. The tech pushed the Red Reset Button on the outside compressor (Resettin it). Now, it is happening again. What is the common cause for having to keep pushing the reset button? Now I think it tripping more frequently. I have a call in to the Tech, but was wondering what you guys think it is. Probably a typical problem for a NEW unit. Thanks

PS: 2nd floor is fine.

Those reset buttons are usually high pressure cut out. Meaning when the pressure in the a/c is to high it shuts off. Could be unit is dirty. Even though it may not look it. Have the tech give it a good cleaning. Have run across those switches going bad and tripping for no reason, but not a common thing. There is usually something wrong. The tech should investigate the cause and not just reset and go.
    "Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
    Frank Leahy

H P reset

I agree some things need to be checked to find the cause of the trip. Will need a 5gal. bucket, some plastic or cardboard and time to go through the process of determining the cause of the trip.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Unless the unit is grossly overcharged it usually an airflow problem. Was the unit used during construction?? Could the coil be plugged up due to construction dust/paint?

Also where is your filter. Do you have an air return with a filter grille. If you do, open up the unit and make sure there isnt a filter in unit which should have been removed if you have a remote filter grille.

Its not unusual for the installer to forget to remove filter in unit, when a seperate filter system is used.

Roy

"The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

On a Rheem the button she is talking about is the high pressure switch reset and if it's tripping more than likely it's a real dirty condenser or the switch is bad, I would say check around the condenser and make sure nothing is blocking it and the "condenser" coil is clean, and if the motor is running in the right direction, have seen RUUD's run backwards from the factory.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Clean the condenser coil. If it still trips, have a pro fix it.

My two sense is probably a fan issue. Either the capacitor blew and the fan starts sometimes but not always or Rheem has another bad motor that goes off on thermal over load.

The great news is you were sold a model that has a high pressure reset button, not all Rheem units come with them

I think the response will be unanamous. Get the technician to fix the unit ASAP, before it is messed up or says the installation warranty has expired. A new (and properly installed) unit should not have excessive pressure.

Hmm Red Button on Rheem

All great replies - thank you. I learned some stuff too. Now, this moment the unit is running cool and it has not tripped for several hours. I did not mention before we have those Kool Kaps on the outside condenser. They are the new lightweight plastic caps that cover the fan grill and lift when the fan is blowing. The tech thought they were not lifting and blocking airflow (as some of you suggest causes tripping) due to some leaves and/or water on it. I am not so sure, because the unit tripped and the caps are clean. When you mention to keep the condenser clear, do you mean keep the fan grill clean? I am doing that. I will still have the tech come, and ask him to check the switch, cleanliness and pressure line.

Question

Oh. Question,where is the coil located on the outdoor unit? Is it something a homeowner can get to easily?

Originally posted by manlyn
    Oh. Question,where is the coil located on the outdoor unit? Is it something a homeowner can get to easily?
    They're on the sides. They look like radiators. Buy a can of coil cleaner and follow the directions.

The guy was to lazy or did not have the time to pull the cover & clean it imo.Rheem outdoor units with the metal grates around the coil protect them but make them a big pain to clean.If there are cotton wood trees around you it will be plugged up!
    Take your time & do it right!

Confused I am

Your top floor is cooling fine, but the ground floor is not? Does your house share the same evaporator and condenser coils?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast