Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I know this is an old post, but how come no one really made any comments about the previous fuel usage in this space? If they used $1500 of LPG for heat, probably using an unvented heater, then they were losing a lot of heat. It doesn't seem possible to burn that much LPG with a single wall heater in one season. If they doubled their electric bill with a one-ton window unit AC, then they are gaining a tremendous amount of heat in the summer. This electric usage also seems impossible, unless they have a VERY small "normal" electric bill for their home. Why will this install pay them back anything really, unless they tighten the space up?

It,s a garage.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

I can see that, but that isn't my point. If they used a tremendous amount of fuel in both summer and winter before the mini-split, they are still going to use almost as much now, maybe a little more if they had an unvented LPG heater before. Why would you spend, I'm guessing, nearly 3K on an installed mini-split when you should get insulated garage doors with that money instead?

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I can see that, but that isn't my point. If they used a tremendous amount of fuel in both summer and winter before the mini-split, they are still going to use almost as much now, maybe a little more if they had an unvented LPG heater before. Why would you spend, I'm guessing, nearly <edit> on an installed mini-split when you should get insulated garage doors with that money instead?
    Because the cost to BTU ratio of propane is insane compared to the cost to BTU ratio for minisplits.

Also, because air sealing a garage with an unvented heater is the worst thing you can do. The only thing keeping those people from dying is the high ventilation rate of a garage.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123