Digicool 1250 Mod
Yes , there is another thread that kind of lumps a few models together. You know , I think that I have had my 1250 for a year and now find that it has been " discontinued ". It's never a good thing to make a purchase that is " discontinued " a year later , I mean really ? I wanted to title this " Digicool 1250 Class Action Mod " , but I just want my stuff to work so here it goes.
Someone in the other thread posted this ...
And it was no problem for this person to arrive at this. I saw a few issues ( for myself ) ...but yes , his is what we will need to arrive at in order for things to be correct ( as should have been provided in my opinion ).
So , here is where I'm at I'm using most of the old fitting but " Digikey " does not stock the 4 pin socket fittings. While I'm waiting for the rest to arrive I 'll test this as I have it and tag the sc / sh sides ( and get a handle on where they go on the fitting ). This is kind of " fun " , although I didn't pay to " have fun ". Man I'm biting my tounge on this.
The pins have a notch cut in them to allow for a super strong solder joint . They are tiny , but that notch allows for " early man " ( like myself ) to make a successful connection ( much better than it was before at least , the one that pulled out and started all of this ).
Last edited by tech45; 05-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.
You know I wanted to crimp these connectors but the special tool to do this is 860.00. Facepalm....thinking Fieldpiece or something about now , Ill stay with it I gues.
I got tired of waiting for the new connector , so I decided to go with the one I ripped appart. I was sure I had this figured out until I started breaking wires right below the solder connections on the pins ( trying to assemble the pins into the fitting ). Here is what I learned..
1) Tin the bare wire at all connections.
2) There can be NO stress on any wire.
3) Pay attention to where the pins are seated in the final bue male portion of the connector.
I ended up cutting off the pins that I had soldered and sliding the wire through the black retainer. I re soldered the pins and epoxyed them in place in the retainer. I then seated the assembly into the unit and checked operation. I then epoxyed the retainer into the final blue fitting. A solid mass of jb weld , and I used it as strain relief under the first black portion.
Wasn't as clean as it should have been maybe when my new connector gets here I'll do this again.
I think your talking to yourself.
You need to put the phone down and get back to work!
A year from now someone will do a search on Digi - Cool 1250 repair and this post will come up. They will say " look what this fool did and it worked " , lol.
And I got to complain a little and not in the main post about this. Everyone understood I guess.
And I found this a little difficult to do actually. Perhaps " a dullards guide to repairing this " or whatever.
And I'll post my part numbers here and such , just for future reference. Nothing here is original , just my struggle. I hope it helps someone , somewhere , at some time.