Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 124
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    Where are you getring your data ? Who counting ?
    Heritage Foundation article.

    Do you have a problem with them as well as with wiki?
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

    Chapman Cohen

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paper Street Soap Company
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    There is not doubt the insurance companies are paying the highest price for hospital services but what I cannot figure out is why the insurance companies do not object in any way. If an operation that should cost $5,000 gets billed to the insurance companies at $10,000 while Medicare, Medical and cash patients get charged $3,000, why don’t the insurance companies sue for being overcharged. It is all in black and white and could be brought in the courts.

    If the hospitals are indeed using insurance company money to support other losses within their hospital it could easily be revealing in their bookwork and should be illegal.

    As a contractor could you imagine telling a customer "I have to charge a little extra because the last guy ripped me off?"
    Medicare and Medicade under pay physicians. Doctors have neen dropping those paitents like hot potatoes.

    Hospitald cant so more price shifting to the insurance companies to make zp the difference.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,504
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Heritage Foundation article.
    What? You didn't burn your fingers?
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    What? You didn't burn your fingers?
    Yes but all in the good cause of bringing education to the appallingly uninformed.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

    Chapman Cohen

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,453
    The first step to "fixing" this system, is to get the govt out of it. Our healthcare is not their job. They'd like it to be, but it's not. Of course alot of what they do is not their job and that is why it all goes to hell. Hasn't anyone noticed that yet????? Nothing the govt sticks their nose in actually "works" or "helps" it's intended group. All it does is empower them more and diminish all of our rights. Is EVERYBODY asleep out there??? This ain't rocket science people.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    The first step to "fixing" this system, is to get the govt out of it. Our healthcare is not their job. They'd like it to be, but it's not. Of course alot of what they do is not their job and that is why it all goes to hell. Hasn't anyone noticed that yet????? Nothing the govt sticks their nose in actually "works" or "helps" it's intended group. All it does is empower them more and diminish all of our rights. Is EVERYBODY asleep out there??? This ain't rocket science people.
    Well that was constructive.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,267
    Government should have nothing to do with health care. Health care was non existent when this country was founded. Our forefathers did not have health insurance. The idea was generated later by businessmen.

    There is no such thing as health insurance as a right. In fact, that argument has never even been discussed. What is a right?

    The constitution says nothing about health care as a right. The bill of rights does not address insurance of any kind as a right.

    Health insurance is a personal concern and if I can't pay for it I don't get it. You do not owe me health insurance. Nor do I owe you health insurance!

    This is a personal choice if you can afford it and you should not have to have it if you can afford it but choose not to have it. I may want to spend my income on something else. So I choose to go without it and take my chances. In fact, I do not have fire insurance on my home and have invested what I would have paid in fire insurance in income generating securities. Again, my choice. If my home burns down I am the one who took the chance and take personal responsibility for my choice. That is how real choice works.

    The government should not force me into a contract that I would not otherwise agree to. I believe in freedom and responsibility!!!!

    Hugh B
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Government should have nothing to do with health care. Health care was non existent when this country was founded.
    We never had TV either.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,267
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    We never had TV either.
    Right. And TV is not a right either. So what is your point?
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    This is a personal choice if you can afford it and you should not have to have it if you can afford it but choose not to have it.
    That is a very shallow statement. If people “choose” to not have health insurance they would need to have a couple hundred thousand dollars sitting there ready to pay for that unforeseen tragedy. Do you see that as a reality? Or are you saying they should just stick it to the state as they are now?

    On another note: I have to say that you not insuring your home to save a couple hundred bucks a year is crazy. Did you know that if your house burns down as a result of a wildfire or from your neighbor’s house causing the fire they are not responsible for your losses?

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Government should have nothing to do with health care. Health care was non existent when this country was founded. Our forefathers did not have health insurance. The idea was generated later by businessmen.

    There is no such thing as health insurance as a right. In fact, that argument has never even been discussed. What is a right?

    The constitution says nothing about health care as a right. The bill of rights does not address insurance of any kind as a right.

    Health insurance is a personal concern and if I can't pay for it I don't get it. You do not owe me health insurance. Nor do I owe you health insurance!

    This is a personal choice if you can afford it and you should not have to have it if you can afford it but choose not to have it. I may want to spend my income on something else. So I choose to go without it and take my chances. In fact, I do not have fire insurance on my home and have invested what I would have paid in fire insurance in income generating securities. Again, my choice. If my home burns down I am the one who took the chance and take personal responsibility for my choice. That is how real choice works.

    The government should not force me into a contract that I would not otherwise agree to. I believe in freedom and responsibility!!!!

    Hugh B
    That could be argued....although it does not mention anywhere in the constitution that healthcare is a right with those exact words, our constitution does say that congress has the duty of providing for the general welfare of the United States.

    What is more important than healthcare? If the country as a whole is unhealthy then nothing at all can be accomplished, including having a military which the Constitution speaks highly of having.

    The definition of General is:

    Affecting or concerning all or most people, places, or things; widespread

    The definition of welfare is:

    The health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Government should have nothing to do with health care. Health care was non existent when this country was founded. Our forefathers did not have health insurance. The idea was generated later by businessmen.

    There is no such thing as health insurance as a right. In fact, that argument has never even been discussed. What is a right?

    The constitution says nothing about health care as a right. The bill of rights does not address insurance of any kind as a right.

    Health insurance is a personal concern and if I can't pay for it I don't get it. You do not owe me health insurance. Nor do I owe you health insurance!

    This is a personal choice if you can afford it and you should not have to have it if you can afford it but choose not to have it. I may want to spend my income on something else. So I choose to go without it and take my chances. In fact, I do not have fire insurance on my home and have invested what I would have paid in fire insurance in income generating securities. Again, my choice. If my home burns down I am the one who took the chance and take personal responsibility for my choice. That is how real choice works.

    The government should not force me into a contract that I would not otherwise agree to. I believe in freedom and responsibility!!!!

    Hugh B
    So you are saying that you don't have a ring in your nose to be lead around by a government run a muck?

    Well, good for you !!!
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,642
    There are hostpitals/health plans that work this way. Kaiser started out this way, as a 'pre-paid medical coverage,' and still functions this way. This has quite a few positive effects, most importantly, because the premiums directly relate to the cost of care (kaiser's hospitals are non-profit), this results in the healthplan, doctors, medical staff, etc, focusing more and more on preventative medicine, and whole body health, because cutting health care costs becomes in the primary interest of the provider. Now if only they could get OSHPD and other intrusive government regulators out of the way, they could be even more successful, and have much lower premiums.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event