Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Now that that's done, what do you guys think of the craigslist ad??

LOL
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Bye-Bye
    what took you so long?

the red triangle had already been hit @ #2
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

They call me.

Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    HVAC Install: You Install New HVAC System (Grad Hospital)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2012-05-16, 2:30PM EDT
    Reply to: 3xxrf-3019305192@gigs.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking to hire someone to install a new HVAC system in our Center City row home.

You will have the following qualifications and be able to complete the following tasks:

Qualifications:
    > Are a certified HVAC technician;
    > Can provide references from at least three customers / clients;
    > Have experience installing high efficiency systems in row homes with minimal returns;
    > Have access to any supplies, including refrigerant, necessary to complete the job;
    > Are willing to accept payment only after completion of the entire job.

Tasks:
    > Remove existing gas furnace and dispose of it;
    > Install new high efficiency furnace and integrated central air conditioner;
    > Install necessary supply and return lines (including chases);
    > Install air purifying equipment that accompanies furnace;
    > Install integrated thermostat.

I will purchase the equipment (including parts) myself and pay you only for labor. You may be asked for advice on the system (probably to be bought on acwholesalers.com).

If you are interested, please email me.

Thanks.
    •it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    • Compensation: TBD

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is a "Wall of Shame" to be? Maybe this is what a WOS seed looks like.
    I have had customers call my office and ask this of me.
    They Might as well say "Would you mind giving me your markup, giving up the cost of your insurance and surrendering your profit, also please don't include 5% risk to cover warranty work. I can only afford $12 per hour too so use your tools for free."
    My suppliers have "JACKLEG" pricing for when home owners who call and price shop.They look out for me when they can.
    I don't tell them to get lost, I still give a price, but I include my markup/insurance/Warranty risk/ and standard wage. I have never landed a job when the customer is price shopping, but I have gone behind the tech they hired and fixed it. For full price too. So they paid 40% more than if they hired me to begin with.
    I don't do it to be mean or prove a point. This is business, if I let folks burn me, I might as well start flipping burgers.

People that post for cheap techs on craigslist get what they pay for.
    That's what I think.

What amazes me is the way some folks think they can literally dictate specs to Pro's. CL poster either thinks the economy is bad enough to get a deal... or he/she has a fatter head than common sense.

I remember a guy a few years ago who posted here... looking for someone to install a Rheem MOD furnace. Guy was the son of a local judge, and had an ego larger than his Dad's. Guy literally thought he was gonna dictate the details of install to the contractor. After I turned him down, I found out I was the 13th (not a typo, the thirteenth) contractor who had turned him down.

Guy was without a furnace, and when it got cold he settled for a hack... who stiffed the local distributor, took the HO's $$$, and skipped town. The local distributor went after the HO for the equipment cost... never heard who won that court case.

Some folks have more ego than common sense... Interesting thing about life is most of them learn the hard way to start using common sense. A few do not... I pity them.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I need a certified HVAC technician to install a replacement outdoor compressor unit and indoor heating and cooling system. You'll need to also install the line set and charge the system with 410a refrigerant. I will pay you cash upon completion of the job. It's a two-ton Rheem system. You will need to to sign off on my warranty card. I'm only interested in working with a single tech and not an HVAC business (obviously trying to save some money.) I already have the new system and wil help with the install. Email me with your contact information if you're interested. Thanks! Chuck

Found this craigs listing on my local craigslist. Actually see them once or twice a week for my area.

I think Memoe was a BOT
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

I love when I get the " I can find that part $30 cheaper online". Then I tell them ok get the part but at midnight on a Saturday when it prematurely fails I will not warranty anything.

I've mentioned this in other threads, and I'm not saying it should be one way or another, but in an internet economy, this is going to happen more and more. The fact is, the installers that make most of their money on the equipment mark-up are going to get priced out. If you are installing equipment, you should be making most your money on the install. If priced accordingly, this ad would not be a problem.

Some people are just clueless.......even when you use small words....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

work for labor

I guess if overhead and profit get allocated to labor hours, and no warranty responsibilities, let home owner buy parts and equipment. warranty can be sold separately for 25% of equipment cost. same crap, different wrapping.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzzlle View Post
    I need a certified HVAC technician to install a replacement outdoor compressor unit and indoor heating and cooling system. You'll need to also install the line set and charge the system with 410a refrigerant. I will pay you cash upon completion of the job. It's a two-ton Rheem system. You will need to to sign off on my warranty card. I'm only interested in working with a single tech and not an HVAC business (obviously trying to save some money.) I already have the new system and wil help with the install. Email me with your contact information if you're interested. Thanks! Chuck

Found this craigs listing on my local craigslist. Actually see them once or twice a week for my area.
    "could you pass the duct stretcher?" "whats a duct stretcher?" ugh
    "whats my measurement off the plenum?" whats a plenum? ugh
    sounds fun

I tell the homeowner I charge more if they want to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam515 View Post
    "could you pass the duct stretcher?" "whats a duct stretcher?" ugh
    Around here, hardly any residential and light commercial installers know what a duct stretcher is!
    It's mostly all radial duct systems with flex around here.
    Guys usually think I'm f'ing with them when ask them to get my duct stretcher when we do a rectangular metal duct job.

Dude, I'm not f'ing around, get my f'ing duct stretcher NOW!

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast