Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Universal Capacitors

Has anyone had problems using these "Universal Capacitors"? I have been using these Universal Motor-Mate Permenant Motor Run Capacitors part number municap200 (motor-rundirect.com). They are rated from 2.5mfd to 67.5 mfd 370VAC or 440VAC 40c-70c operating temp. range. I carry these universal capacitors for emergency calls and have used several of them on split systems for a "Dual Capacitor" for the compressor/condenser fan run capacitors. I have set the capacitor up correctly to the manufacurers directions and even test each capacitor to make sure they read the same mfd as the capacitor I am changing. I have been using these for 2 years now and I have had to go back and change every one I have installed with in a year or less. I date the capacitors with a marker when I change them and write the mfd ratings down. I have since been stocking the fixed capacity run capacitors such as 35/5mfd 45/5mfd 35/7.5mfd, and have been using them instead of the universal capacitors, and I have not had to change one of the fixed value capacitors. I do stock a couple of the universal capacitors just in case I run into one I do not have but i go back and put in the fixed value capacitors as soon as I get them in if I have used any of the universal ones. I have been in contact with my supplier and a few different sales reps and no one has heard of this problem but I have also asked several other service techs and most of them have not used the universal capacitors yet. I also e-mailed the manufacturer about the problem as these capacitors are supposed to have a 5 year warranty on them but have not had any reply from the manufacturer on this matter, it was about 3 weeks ago I e-mailed them. Has any one else had problems with these capacitors? I think the biggest failure of these capacitors is the heat as they all are bulged at the top and bottom, I noticed the fixed value capacitors have a higher operating temp range,but it is only 10c more than the universal ones. I appreciate your input on this matter as they are a good idea if they will last but for the price they are not really worth the convienence.

Todd

I can't say that I've ever run into the problem you're experiencing. I've installed the motor mate and the turbo 200 brands with great results.

You might want to take a closer look at the equipment you put those capacitors in. In my experience, when a motor or compressor is on it's way out, it will start chewing through capacitors. I'm not saying that's your case, but it's worth a look.

Also when you start jumping out the different values to add up to what you need, I always put the motor lead on the highest rated terminal. Say I need 35mfd, I'll jump 25 and 10, but then I'll put the motor lead on the 25mfd terminal. Not sure if that's required, but that's what I do.

I have used the Turbo 200 & 200X with great results. No failures yet in 2 years. I have not tried any other brands.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I have used both the MotorMate and the Turbo series multi capacitors. The MotorMates, have had and almost 100% failure rate, and the Turbo's are 0 failure rate. Most of the distributors that were selling the MotorMates have stopped selling them around here also.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

I use turbos and have not had any issues with them. Never heard of the motor mates.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

We go OEM on every call if at all possible.
    We had about everyone of the motormate fail ( approx 20 ) within 2 seasons, we gave warranty to every client on these POS.
    Have used turbo 200X with no failures, but only installed may a dozen so far within the last 2 years or so.
    luck dan

I worked for a company that went to almost exclusively turbo's with great success.Always gave customer option if they wanted oem we would go back and swap out.It seemed to me that this was a great (roi) for us and customer as we could hold prices down and put in a quality product. Bought them by the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by techbill11 View Post
    I worked for a company that went to almost exclusively turbo's with great success.Always gave customer option if they wanted oem we would go back and swap out.It seemed to me that this was a great (roi) for us and customer as we could hold prices down and put in a quality product. Bought them by the cases.
    so what do you do with the old turbo,s on a swap out? your
    not resale them are you or do you eat the cost

Quote Originally Posted by wsykes View Post
    so what do you do with the old turbo,s on a swap out? your
    not resale them are you or do you eat the cost
    My company does the same thing. I have one turbo that i carry that is used for just temporary if the customer wants oem. I can almost always get back the next day to swap and I just keep the turbo for the next customer who wants the same deal. I have only had that occur a few times. The turbo is more expensive but it comes with a five year warranty from the factory and customers love the word warranty. If I have the direct replacement, I will always use that first but I sell a lot of turbos, both the 200, and the mini.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Good question if it was only a few days it is not that big of a deal unless it was damaged or became out of specs during that time.The company that makes turbo is a quality company part has 5 year warranty.
    By the way what area of columbus.Grew up in 2 areas deer creek and Grove city
    Last edited by techbill11; 05-20-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I misunderstood question

Up there about a year ago lots of changes.

5th root that makes more sense wish i thought of that.I only had to worry about it a couple of times.By the way I would not sell customers truly used parts as if they were new that is just dishonest.

On the units I have used the universal caps on I have ohmed the compressor and condenser fan, checked amp draw, voltage, and operating pressures and temps, everything looks ok. I will check to make sure if and when I use a universal cap that I put the larger capacitance value load on the larger capacitance terminal to see if that makes a difference.

As far as the customer and billing them I have ate the cost of several universal caps, some I have exchanged with my supplier for a new one. Now I have most of the common fixed value ones in stock and just carry a universal one for the instance I don't have the right one or am out of the one I need in which case I have an opened/used universal capacitor that I use temporarily until I receieve the oem part which I go back and replace the universal one with the oem part and keep the used universal cap. The customer does not get billed for the used temporary capacitor.

Thank you for your input/help on this, I will give the turbo brand universal cap a try in the future instead of the muni cap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast