Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frederick, MD

After further discussion with my sister-in-law...

this is a 3 ton HP, not straight cool.

He is replacing the compressor for a lot more than we discussed but they don't mind as long as they get good quality service. They are dumping their service contract with the guys that said 10 days to get there.

btw.. it will be a life saver to get her AC running again, and with her failing health, literally.

Thanks for everything..

That makes a lot more sense, being a heat pump. That answers the questions we were pondering today.

The Frederick boys seem to have a lot of confidence in this tech. The manager at this branch is fairly technically savvy himself, so he is not easily buffaloed.

Ask you sil if she had high heating bills. That'll give some gauge as to when this thing took a dump. I'm figuring it happened during some of the more recent storms we have been having.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

On that goodman furnace, i replaced the system last week. Found secondary heat exchanger perfectly clean and all four primary heat exchangers severely cracked-6inches long.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Originally posted by md master
    On that goodman furnace, i replaced the system last week. Found secondary heat exchanger perfectly clean and all four primary heat exchangers severely cracked-6inches long.
    So what caused the problem?

Obviously it overheated. Why, I believe a combination of things but ultimately I believe the fan stopped at some piont and the safty circuit did not kill the gas valve in time melting the drain pan, cracking the cover over the secondary heat exchanger, and badly cracking all the exchangers. The board had the fan motor on continuosly in heat (or I should say the micro relay used to start the fan on the heating speed tap). It wasn't stuck but would pull in on a delay whenever power was restored even with the stat wires disconnected. I didn't test it's function in heating mode due to customer freaking out and not wanting it to run. The fan would not start in cooling mode with the stat wires reconnected. That's why I asked about any bullitins on weather the control boards on the model had an issue or not. The high limit allowed this situation but could have been operating on it for a spell till it decided to stay closed, I have not tested it yet (ain't had time). I did not test the gas valve and what it was set at, it could have been set too high overfiring a bit as well. Close inspection did show some water had been on the board at one time, water and electronics mix well you know.
    The new furnace is set to 3.5" man pressure and operates at a 65* temp rise (factory recommendation) indicating adaquete air volume (I did tell him to open all regesters in the house and keep them open).
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Ahhhh...a cracked cover over the heatexchanger, eh?

That is the collector box which overheats along with everything else under several conditions. The most common condition for the overheating in that area is that combustion air is being brought directly into the IDB from the drain system somewhere and not being pulled through the heat exchanger for proper combustion.

Most times it is an improperly installed flue condensate system. Do all condensate lines from the furnace and the vent elbow drain to the trap assembly box? Are all openings of the trap assembly either connected to a hose or capped off? Is there a vent on the outlet line after the trap assembly? These are things that cause that condition.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Ahhhh...a cracked cover over the heatexchanger, eh?

That is the collector box which overheats along with everything else under several conditions. The most common condition for the overheating in that area is that combustion air is being brought directly into the IDB from the drain system somewhere and not being pulled through the heat exchanger for proper combustion.

Most times it is an improperly installed flue condensate system. Do all condensate lines from the furnace and the vent elbow drain to the trap assembly box?

Yes they did.

Are all openings of the trap assembly either connected to a hose or capped off?

All were connected to a hose.

Is there a vent on the outlet line after the trap assembly?

there was a drain line with no vent from the trap to the floor drain.

These are things that cause that condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12