Frown

Doesn't it always happen this way? Here is Sunday before family arrives for a visit and I discover my Evap coil pan is leaking rusty water and turning our newly cleaned white carpet rust colored. After tearing into it I find a split at the rear of the pan. The inside of the pan is all rust. (Not sure how old the A/C is, just purchased the home.) Since family is arriving tomorrow I would love to plug it till I can take time to change it out. Is there any product out there that I can pour into the pan, that is self leveling, would harden up and seal it, for a couple of months? If not do you think smearing silicone on the bottom will last a few months? Any idea for a temp. fix will be much appreciated.

Thanks JD

Lightbulb

unless its completely dry and clean your only option is henrys roofing tar, or a new unit.

The local hvac supply house should carry pan-crete, which will do it.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I like the idea of silicone gel, but not the smell. It's a simple job if you can be bothered to do it. Cover your nose . It has to be dry - the pan. Avoid silicone contact with hand. You'll not enjoy the feeling.

The guy wants to seal it for a couple of months?

That translates to: until it leaks again and I can't fix it myself.

Lets place bets on the nect topic of "Do kinks in my copper hurt my A/C"?

Thanks guys for your input.
    smokin68, Pancrete is just the ticket however the HVAC houses in our area have never heard of it. I downloaded all the data on the product and plan on turning them on to it. I think I will just bottom patch it for this week and when my family leaves i will replace it.

BSCHVAC, I'm sory, did I say something to ofend you? Does the fact that I am looking for a quick fix till my family leaves bother you in some way? Or do you just feel somewhat superior and wanted to express it. How's that working for you?

Have a great day men and watch your superheat.

I've run into this, and yes, it only happens when it's 90 out. First of all, if the back rotted out, chances are it was not pitched correctly from day 1. I have raised the back of the pan high enough, (like a jacked up 69 chevelle) to make sure that the back sees no water. seal the temporary gap until repair can be made.
    Good luck

You could try aquarium silicon; it might hold up better since it's designed to be wet constantly.

Thanks again men, but J-B Weld did a wonderful job. Problem is solved for now and I have time to schedule the replacement.