Question To shade or not shade a condensor?

I live in the desert and my condensors (compressors?) are exposed to a lot of sun. Is it helpful for efficiency's sake to shade a condensor as long as airflow is not compromised?
    Last edited by waynen; 05-18-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Not sure of nomenclature

Where it can make a difference is if a condenser is located on a hot black tar roof & the small liquid line is not insulated to keep it from flashing to gas in the line.

Auraka; they will remove your post as you have not been authorized to post replies; you have to start your own thread with a problem you want solutions for or, some advice you want...

Auraka, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If by shade you mean to place something around the sides that will shade the unit and still let it breath it doesn't hurt but any benefit would be minimal if any. The best thing you can do for efficiency and life expectancy is to just have the unit cleaned at least yearly.

If you do shade the unit, remember that it needs at least 3' of space around it to leave enough room for someone to get in and work around it and never place anything directly above the unit.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

There is not much to be gained by shading the unit itself.
    The only study I am aware of that has been done on the subject was a small scale study that found that there is, at best, a 3% increase in efficiency.
    They found that most attempts at shading the unit actually do more harm than good, and that you only really get positive results if you can shade the area the unit is in, rather than just the unit itself.

Pretty much anything you build around the unit will have a negative effect, and you should never have anything over the unit if your goal is increased efficiency.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

large deciduous trees with a large canopy covering the unit in shade will help... not that you can get that to grow in the desert... building a wall on the west side of the unit can give some assistance from the afternoon sun on the unit, but it'll also block air exchange, so the benefit may be minimal.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

A wall within even 10' of the unit that is tall enough to shade it, will likey cause some recirculation of the air, which would increase air temps, rather than reduce them.