Hi folks,

Just started to do my preliminay research, and came across your informative, and sometimes entertaining group....

I live in a Townhouse in NJ, and currently both my furnace and a/c are running, as they have been for 16+ years.

However, I just installed a small patio next to my deck, which my wife and I are trying to enjoy. Unfortunately, every time the compressor kicks on, we have to interupt our conversation for a few minutes until it completes its cycle....as it's very loud. I've decided to consider a new unit (quieter), and obviously would want to consider better efficiency as a primary goal. Although I don't like to spend $$ needlessly, I will spend it to make an improvment, even if the unit isn't yet broken. My current setup hasn't been touched since it was installed in 1989.

Heat: York P3UGD12N008001A (80,000 BTU)
    A/C: York M2UF032AA (2ton -- I think)

My questions:
    1) Has the efficiency improved over my current 16 y/o units, to give a possible 20% better efficiency in electricity/gas (trying to get 5yr. ROI)?

2) Given my location (NW/NJ), is a variable rate or 2-stage system an advantage? Note that we both work from home, so a consistent temperature is desireable, as we don't have the energy peaks associated with 9-5 couples.

Any thoughts, experiences or ballpark assumptions are greatly appreciated.

Ray

If it ain't broke don't fix it. You will save money but your retuen on investment may scare you. Can you put up a sound barrier wall with enough room to allow ventilation.

Originally posted by biker128pedal
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. You will save money but your retuen on investment may scare you. Can you put up a sound barrier wall with enough room to allow ventilation.
    Bad advice. It may be "broke" but you as a consumer don't know it. It could be wasting you lots of money, not delivering clean air, and could be potentially a hazard. Have a pro come out ASAP to, at the least, look the system over and give you a good recommendation on what to do in your situation.

It looks like you have a 2 1/2 ton A/C by the numbers. In order to get quiet, you have to go with a higher end unit. They all have sound ratings. The guys on here that are familiar with them can direct you better than myself. However, in NJ, heat is your primary $$$ not A/C. If you choose to go new, look into a 90+ efficiency heat source, with a lower seer(13+) quiet a/c. JMO.

You can try a sound blanket on your current unit.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

If you decide to install a new system it would be a good time to consider moving the condenser to a less troublesome location from a noise point of view. The incremental cost may not be that much higher.

the average townhouse i have seen, were the unit is is the only place for it. as far as noise the higher end units are quieter. with pse&g getting 12% rate increase on electric june1 high efficiency equip looks better every day. call a few contractors in your area and get some ideas from them.

Just get the minimum 13 seer and you would do a lot better, but you have to change the coil also.............

If you want you could also change to a high efficiency furnace and that sound like it would be a home run.......................... You will be all updated for the next 12 years...........

so where in NJ are you , i will asume off rt 78 ............

i am in linden

Talking

lennox is the quietest trane is best quality, 2 speed trane 19I ac with 90% furnace is the answer. you get what you pay for.

If you're planning to stay in the house for some years, get a new one with efficiency that can give a good payback. Most AC nowadays are more efficient and quiet compared to your old one.

Otherwise, get the AC repaired, and put a sound barrier for the condenser.

JMO.

Wow,

Lots of good advice here, and opinions.....
    My additional research also added some other niceties to the equation, such as a rebate from my power company, if I install a more efficient hvac unit.

Based on the limited amount of cost$$ data (for the units and the install labor) available, I really can't make a good decision yet, but I think I have all of the other data that I need to do an intelligent cost analysis. Based on a ballpark of $4K for the unit, plus 1-day labor, it looks to be about 5-years before payback (assuming a 20% efficiency improvment).

We're probably only going to be here for another 2 years, but with the price of energy going up, I'm confident that it would be a selling point to have a fairly new system, and one that is much more efficient than my neighbors. Besides, I'd rather get the opportunity to enjoy an upgraded system for a while, before I leave it behind....

So, I guess that my next task is to get a few quotes from some trusted local contractors....? At the very least, I'll get a handle for what it's really going to cost.

Thanks much.

Ray