Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's guess here

Found this gem recently .. From the looks of it how long ago was the last time you guys think this was cleaned? small retail clothing store, filter in slot inside furnace & under quarterly maintenance. Ill tell you what the records say about when & how it was cleaned later . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I'll guess, 4 years w/o an air filter
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

looks like the special no filter needed, throw away evap

Had something simular happen. Doing a new customers building with roof tops. Every coil on roof was stuffed. Evap coils filtered better than the wrong size filters in it. They said last company cleaned all coils on PMI's and it was real stinky when they did. On the roof was cases of empty self rinsing EVAP. foam spray, they used on evaps and condensers. Had to use a hose to blow mud out of evaps while doing condensing coils. The owner has had the building 30+ yrs and he said i was first to drag a hose up there. Think he wondered why i did when other company brought cases of spray. Oh well

See them worse than that all the time. Funny. Last call today, on a RTU I installed last summer. Brand freakin new. Coil looked like a snowman. Couldnt see dirt but hard to see threw 3 inches of ice but did see tons of dirt in the return piping and compartment so I figure I already know the problem.... Shimmied my worn out arse down the ladder to take a look see at the filters. Brand new of course......... Tell the manager shes froze up and Im not working late to watch it thaw out to which she immediately gets defensive and says "i know its not the filters look for yourself its brand new". Yea, theyre almost always brand new when i get there but the almost guaranteed sweater on the coil says otherwise. Ill see in the morning.

Sry for the rant..

The last company i worked for i knew for a fact i wouldn't find a belt loose or a coil plugged on anything w/ a contract because we actually took care of the customer. Everyone had pride & were good minded folks. With hundreds of stores & so many different people digging in i never know what to expect anymore where i am now. This wasn't supposed to look like this because it was supposedly brushed & cleaned w/ a chemical 1 year ago. NO FARGIN WAY! Naturally i wouldn't put the company i work for on Front St. to a customer & never a fellow tech i like to any boss but going behind careless hacks is getting old.

but going behind careless hacks is getting old.
    [/QUOTE]

my life story!!!
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Quote Originally Posted by Checksinmail View Post
    Had something simular happen. Doing a new customers building with roof tops. Every coil on roof was stuffed. Evap coils filtered better than the wrong size filters in it. They said last company cleaned all coils on PMI's and it was real stinky when they did. On the roof was cases of empty self rinsing EVAP. foam spray, they used on evaps and condensers. Had to use a hose to blow mud out of evaps while doing condensing coils. The owner has had the building 30+ yrs and he said i was first to drag a hose up there. Think he wondered why i did when other company brought cases of spray. Oh well
    I had one a few months ago where the customer had a plumber clean the condensers at a country club. The plumber told the guy that it dont take no genius to clean a condenser coil, well he cleaned it all right!! He used a power washer and removed a lot of the metal jacket off the unit. I would still be there trying to fix the fins on the coil, you couldn't pull anything threw them after he gave them a good cleaning.

i was gonna guess less than a year with no filter...in a clothing store, i could see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    i was gonna guess less than a year with no filter...in a clothing store, i could see it.
    What about a filter changed quarterly never showing to be very dirty at all? Lol

I think SOME service companies, customers, and techs have forgotten what a PMI is .... " preventative". Trying to prevent un-nessasary service calls. To me clean coils, filters, and good belts on a set schedule are the basics.

Behind a 1" filter, sure.. I changed a 2 year old coil that looked that bad. Washed the hog hair filter every month and it was that dirty. Why when we do an install they get a 5" thick filter wether they want it or not. No choice in the matter. When it plugs up things quit working and everything stays clean.

Well i suppose if you've seen it then it's possible. This particular account i can't see it but who knows, who cares lol. I would prefer to never go back again lol

had a similar resi system on my last call today.
    we put it on a maint agreement in June last year, and she has called twice this year about not cooling.
    they sent the same tech back the first 2 times and he reprogrammed the stat and said it had a 22° Delta T.
    well I had about the same, it fired right off. after about 15 minutes and more talking to the customer I decided to take advantage of the EXISTING plenum access and look at the coil.
    Looked like the one pictured. Money says the tech last year stuck thermometers in duct, got the Delta T and was gone in 45 minutes.
    It is frustrating to say the least. It is even worse when management approves this method and then can't figure out why they loose money.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast