Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    435

    The Joys of Refrigeration

    This is why I sometimes don't like commercial refrigeration. A Delfield under-storage refrigerated compartment wasn't cooling. After I accessed the evaporator coil, I found even though the liquid line solenoid was getting voltage, it wasn't opening. Then, I saw the expansion valve power cap looked like it was in need of replacement. Then, I saw one of the evaporator fan motors wasn't running. Then, I saw how bad the whole evaporator coil assembly looked. Once I determined I couldn't get the screws out of the back panel to remove the fan guard and the evaporator fan motor because the screws are inaccessible without pulling the whole assembly out, not to mention what a pain in the butt it's going to be to change the power cap and solenoid valve, I gave up for the day.

    I called Delfield for some guidance, the engineer confirmed that I would have to recover the refrigerant and remove the whole assembly to get the evaporator fan motor out. What? That's when I decided it was best to replace the whole assembly, including the evaporator fan motors, expansion valve, solenoid valve, evaporator coil, etc. Of course, I'm looking at close to a thousand dollars for the whole assembly.

    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  110.7 KB

    The problem child

    Name:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 292
Size:  116.6 KB

    The fun begins

    Name:  photo(2).JPG
Views: 277
Size:  138.6 KB

    Expansion valve and liquid line solenoid

    Name:  photo(3).JPG
Views: 276
Size:  117.4 KB

    Evaporator fan motor that can't be removed

    Name:  photo(4).JPG
Views: 267
Size:  111.0 KB

    Leaks waiting to happen
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,291
    When it starts leaking, you get to come in and build a whole new evaporator enclosure for them. Restaurants aren't going to fix something that's not yet broken. They like squeezing the life out of their equipment for as long as possible. $1000 is about right :P

    I hate working on Delfields. I usually just tell the owner to replace the POS. :P

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    pittsburgh, pa
    Posts
    529

    At least it's clean in the cooler.

    Regarding the fan motor, could you remove the evap. drain pan and get your hands under there enough to remove the lower screw for the fan mtg. bracket and flex it out to change the fan motor?

    The power head and coil sure look bad. You know if you don't change it, it's going to be a problem.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    698
    Now, if there ever were a case for making the design engineer work on his creation....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,085
    For the dollars Delfield gets for these units you'd expect more consideration for serviceability.

    If I were faced with replacing that evap fan motor, I think I'd cut the motor bracket and bend it forward to get the motor out...then screw on a patch to splice it back together.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    When it starts leaking, you get to come in and build a whole new evaporator enclosure for them. Restaurants aren't going to fix something that's not yet broken. They like squeezing the life out of their equipment for as long as possible. $1000 is about right :P

    I hate working on Delfields. I usually just tell the owner to replace the POS. :P
    Unfortunately, I work for a school district, so as much as I would like to get rid of all the Delfield equipment in our kitchens, that isn't going to happen. Someone, before I started working there, must have convinced my boss that Delfield was the equipment to buy because we have a crapload of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
    Regarding the fan motor, could you remove the evap. drain pan and get your hands under there enough to remove the lower screw for the fan mtg. bracket and flex it out to change the fan motor?

    The power head and coil sure look bad. You know if you don't change it, it's going to be a problem.
    I thought about doing that, but with all the other problems this system has, I didn't feel like tearing up my hands and arms tying to get to the screws.

    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    Now, if there ever were a case for making the design engineer work on his creation....
    There ought to be a law.

    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    For the dollars Delfield gets for these units you'd expect more consideration for serviceability.

    If I were faced with replacing that evap fan motor, I think I'd cut the motor bracket and bend it forward to get the motor out...then screw on a patch to splice it back together.
    Yeah, you'd thing so, but having been in the trade as long as I have, I stopped expecting miracles a long time ago. Cutting the bracket would be something that I could do if it was only the motor that needed replacing.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,812
    So do you get to climb into that box like a contortionist

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    So do you get to climb into that box like a contortionist
    How'd you know?
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,812
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    How'd you know?
    Been there done that accept I'm 6'-2" and I have a hard time getting my last foot in.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    6,915
    At least you are working in a clean kitchen. Seems like every time I get into a kitchen, I'm swimming in grease on top of it all.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    At least you are working in a clean kitchen. Seems like every time I get into a kitchen, I'm swimming in grease on top of it all.
    Yea i got to wallow in grease for about 3 hrs today tearing apart a pizza prep table and then thawing it out due to stopped up drain line U-trap. McCall. On the upside its been awhile since ive had to do it since i removed the stupid a$$ factory copper U and heated and bent my own pvc replacement U. Before I came up with what I think was a great idea, I was having to unplug it every couple of months.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    At least you are working in a clean kitchen. Seems like every time I get into a kitchen, I'm swimming in grease on top of it all.
    Yeah, I know about grease. I used to work for Whataburger (open 24 hours a day!). The good thing about public schools is no fried foods except for the high school and the staff does a good job of keeping the fryer area spotless, which is alright by me!
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,475
    Ive been in a couple school kitchens. They do seem to be alot cleaner than the rathole restaurants Im usually stuck in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event