Evergreen ECM

Thread: Evergreen ECM

Hybrid View

Evergreen ECM

I just attended a seminar on the evergreen line of ECM motors. The evergreen is a direct drop in replacement for PSC blower motors. They cannot be used as replacements for OEM ECM's.

Has anyone had any experience using and installing them? They are good for direct drive 5 ton units or less. There was a lot of "ra-ra buy our product" which can be expected from a manufacturers rep. I was having a hard time sifting through the hype and getting to the meat and potatoes of the motor.

Do the cost savings advertised ACTUALLY materialize for the clients that purchase the more expensive drop in replacements, or do the savings only appear in ideal lab conditions? Some pretty significant savings were being touted on sample installs, but it kind of seemed like he was pulling some of the numbers out of the air.

Any experiences or opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim
    Last edited by timtanguay; 05-16-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Changed title from PCM to ECM.

They claim a 1 seer point maximum improvement on efficiency and they cost more than of 3 times the price of a PSC motor.

My customer's knees buckle already when I hand them an invoice for a PSC motor!
    I miss you mom and dad.

I have put a few of these in and have seen significant drops in amperage. Which should equate to a savings. I do worn people not to expect a huge savings if that did not run the fan continuously before. I had a great experience when insyltalling the motor with an Arzel zoning system. I do not recommend selling them in systems older than 15 years because of the cost. The customer would most likely not see the payback IMO.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

My company uses Genteq 3.0 ECM motors and we make a controller that alllows the installed to set the speed of the taps Comfortune HVAC.
    ECM's will use about 50% to 70 % less electric, but in most applications the homeowner now will run the fan 24/7 and see no saving but now they are running the fan 100% of the time instead of 25% of the time, what you get is better IAQ, and much better overall air mix this leads to much better comfort.

We used the evergreen motors for a while, then stopped. A few motor failures and a few blown transformers.
    We've switched to the new Emerson ecotech motors.
    No 24v wiring to mess around with. It connects to the existing 120v speed taps on the board and takes care of the rest internally.