Hybrid View

Cornelius Ice Maker M#IACS224

I've picked up an older Cornelius Ice maker and want to put it into my shop. It begins making ice but never actually stops and goes into harvest. The one time it did actually go into harvest it never shut the water pump down so I just ended up with watery ice, while it was doing this I was able to check the outputs on the board and I found that the relay controlling the pump was stuck closed when it should have been opened. My question is this: Are there any Cornelius guru's on here and where can I find aftermarket parts for this thing? I've spoken with the factory and a new board is going to run me around $350 and I didnt even pay that much for the machine to begin with LOL. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cornelius
    M# IACS224
    S# 63A0531BC098

Since it's reluctant to go into harvest, I suspect either the suction line sensor needs to be adjusted or if it's out of range, replaced (fairly common). Ohm it out in an icewater bath to be sure.

I have an IAC sensor at the shop I'd like to sell if you're in need of one.

The water pump LED (D12) should be "on" for the first 15 seconds of harvest. If it stays "on" longer, you probably need a new board...or you might try wiring the dump valve in parallel with the hot gas valve.

Here's the manual if you don't already have it:

http://www.cornelius.com/stellent/gr...e=PdfHighlight

Thank you, Icemeister. I had planned on tinkering with it some this afternoon when I get back around the house. I may be in need of that thermistor and I'll let you know after I ohm it out. Also thanks for the idea about wiring the dump valve in with the hot gas valve, that may get me around having to replace the board. I'm not very experienced with ice makers as I'm a commercial HVAC guy but I figured it's all the same in theory.

One other question. On a machine like this how thick would you suggest I set it to make ice? And do you know of any ice machine cleaner that can remove iron stains? This thing came out of the country and they had straight well water running to it and it's gotten stained pretty badly from all the iron

Quote Originally Posted by rookietech311 View Post
    Thank you, Icemeister. I had planned on tinkering with it some this afternoon when I get back around the house. I may be in need of that thermistor and I'll let you know after I ohm it out. Also thanks for the idea about wiring the dump valve in with the hot gas valve, that may get me around having to replace the board. I'm not very experienced with ice makers as I'm a commercial HVAC guy but I figured it's all the same in theory.
    I mis-spoke about ohming the thermistor sensor. On p.25 of the manual there's a checkout procedure, but no resistance chart. I got about 2.65 K ohms in ice water with my sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by rookietech311 View Post
    One other question. On a machine like this how thick would you suggest I set it to make ice? And do you know of any ice machine cleaner that can remove iron stains? This thing came out of the country and they had straight well water running to it and it's gotten stained pretty badly from all the iron
    The manual calls for 1/8" bridge thickness in the center of the slab. (See p.19)

For the iron staining, usually any nickel-safe ice machine cleaner should clean that up...along with all the mineral buildup.

tech support told me 2,815 ohm +/- 140. And I guess I should read the manual before asking any more stupid questions lol

2,815 ohms in a glass of ice water that is