Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

change new hvac or not

I accidentally posted this as a reply the other day and I think it really should be a new thread. My apologies.

Rheem saga update
    Today my contractor came out to measure something on the Rheem rrpl 2.5 ton he installed. It's not the unit specified on our contract and arrived broken. He since fixed the first broken thing and next replaced the fan blade. It now works, but wasn't the one specified on our contract. He said he's doing this for Rheem to get them to take it back as a lemon. I asked him then what my options were: Would I get reimbursed from the contractor or Rheem? He said it was between Rheem and myself. I asked him if he gets reimbursed for what he paid, which I imagine is less than what I paid him. He said no, he's never been reimbursed by a manufacturer except for individual parts. I think I could get the unit replaced and have since discovered that Trane and American Standard make package units with a smaller footprint and lower decibel ratings. My questions are:

Is it worth the hassle and ill will to get it changed?

Is he right that it's between the customer and manufacturer?

Do contractors not get reimbursed from manufacturers if the equipment if faulty?

Is it okay that it sits on loose bricks?

The city inspector passed it but the pavers are under the perimeter and I can just pull one out. I think they did this so they could sit the unit on top of my patio. You can pull out the paver and see there is cement underneath but is doesn't extend to the full dimensions of the unit.

This unit is 3.5 feet from a bedroom window and about five feet from my patio table.

I am really torn about this decision. It's seems wasteful to junk a now-working unit, however it is loud (76 db vs. 71) and large for such a small area. I feel bad for the contractor, who is now mad at me, even though he is the one who put in the wrong unit. The SMUD (utility) program that selected the contractor tells me we have a choice in brands, but the contractor says we don't. Now the SMUD administrator says they don't get involved in disputes between contractors and customers.

Should I just let it go or fight for what I hope would be a be more appropriate unit?

Name:  hvac.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  hvac corner.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  116.5 KB

Thanks.

Rodney28334, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

My apologies. I thought I was writing in the section for homeowners seeking advice. I'll try to figure this out.
    Thank you.

If you actually "specified" a brand and model, then this should have been satisfied. What did you actually specify?

Quote Originally Posted by BlancheDubois View Post
    I accidentally posted this as a reply the other day and I think it really should be a new thread. My apologies.

Rheem saga update
    Today my contractor came out to measure something on the Rheem rrpl 2.5 ton he installed. It's not the unit specified on our contract and arrived broken. He since fixed the first broken thing and next replaced the fan blade. It now works, but wasn't the one specified on our contract. He said he's doing this for Rheem to get them to take it back as a lemon. I asked him then what my options were: Would I get reimbursed from the contractor or Rheem? He said it was between Rheem and myself. I asked him if he gets reimbursed for what he paid, which I imagine is less than what I paid him. He said no, he's never been reimbursed by a manufacturer except for individual parts. I think I could get the unit replaced and have since discovered that Trane and American Standard make package units with a smaller footprint and lower decibel ratings. My questions are:

Is it worth the hassle and ill will to get it changed?

This is a decision you will have to make.

Is he right that it's between the customer and manufacturer?

Usually this is the case with utility programs... why I do not like them.

Do contractors not get reimbursed from manufacturers if the equipment if faulty?

Depends on the relationship between the dist and contractor... usually depends on how much $$$ the contractor spends with the distributor... in other words how much the dist wants the contractor's business.

Is it okay that it sits on loose bricks?

Would be better on a pad.

The city inspector passed it but the pavers are under the perimeter and I can just pull one out. I think they did this so they could sit the unit on top of my patio. You can pull out the paver and see there is cement underneath but is doesn't extend to the full dimensions of the unit.

I am not knocking the city... however they do not always note all the details in the code book.

This unit is 3.5 feet from a bedroom window and about five feet from my patio table.

Unfortunately; to correct this issue, the ductwork under your home will need work, which I doubt is covered in a utility special program.

I am really torn about this decision. It's seems wasteful to junk a now-working unit, however it is loud (76 db vs. 71) and large for such a small area. I feel bad for the contractor, who is now mad at me, even though he is the one who put in the wrong unit. The SMUD (utility) program that selected the contractor tells me we have a choice in brands, but the contractor says we don't. Now the SMUD administrator says they don't get involved in disputes between contractors and customers.

Should I just let it go or fight for what I hope would be a be more appropriate unit?

Name:  hvac.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  hvac corner.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  116.5 KB

Thanks.
    The note from 'BeenThere' (one of the moderator staff) is in reference to someone who does not have approval to post in the 'AOP' area. Their post was removed. You are fine.

From my professional view: you need to have a heart to heart with your contractor. I am sorry the details are not as you want them... however if it were me; I would have told the contractor to 'stop' when I saw the wrong unit coming out of a box.

As to the noise and size issue... you will have to decide how much that is worth ($$$) to you.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Actually all I told the contractor was that I wanted something that fit in the space the old hvac was in and that it be quiet as it was next to my patio and a bedroom window. The contract I signed has a model number for a unit that is not a package unit, which is what I needed. They installed a package unit, but it wasn't the one on the contract.

I wasn't home the day they installed it. I came home to find the unit already in.

Thanks for your input.

If your contract specified a 'split' rather than a 'package' unit... can or would you post the model #'s for each of the equipment pieces on the contract?

Information always helps.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

My apologies. I thought I was writing in the section for homeowners seeking advice. I'll try to figure this out.
    Thank you.
    Blanche,

You did nothing wrong.

There was an unauthorized post here which was deleted.

That post was a warning to that poster not to do it again.

Thank you.

Sorry dude. That was a post to "Rodney28334", not you. Your post/thread is fine.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If it's not what you paid for, then I wouldn't accept it.

Don't bring me a ford, when I bought a chevy.
    Don't bring me a colorado, when I bought a silverodo.

As far as the relationship between you and the manufacturer, thats screwed up.

It might just be that way with a energy program, but as far as a standard replacement goes, our company would never run with that.
    We register equitment for owners, handle any and all warranty issues, anything.

I couldn't imagine telling a home owner to call the manufacturer, unless the customer starts digging into me.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

You have a written contract with the installers?
    it specifies split system? I think you should contact a lawyer for advice on this one. small claims court may be needed.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

The latest on my hvac saga is this: I asked SMUD (our municipal utility who is managing the rebates) to come have a look. They didn't want to but did call the contractor, who then called me to ask that I not have SMUD come out as it costs them (the contractor) $500 for a site visit from SMUD. (I didn't know it cost money to get a second opinion from the overseeing program manger.) The contractor also agreed to replace the unit with one of my choice. They are getting Rheem to take the unit back and then will give me a different one. I have been told that a Trane or American Standard 4YCY4030A1075 would be quieter (71 vs 76) decibels and the footprint is shallower so it would fit in the space better.

What I want to know now is what else should I compare between the Rheem RRPL B030JKO6X and the Trane/Am.Std? Will the Trane/Am. Std. heat and cool as well? I have been staring at their repspective spec sheets, hoping to unlock the secret understanding of btu's without success.

Is there another quiet 2.5 ton package unit out there that I don't know about?

I would like to mention again how much this forum has helped me. I was driving my kids and friends crazy with my worries about this hvac unit, and getting information from impartial experts has been so useful. Thank you all.

The trane xl package units with the swept wing fan blade are very quiet ,i am mst familar with trane ,im sure there are other package units just as quiet just not familar with them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast