+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Charcoal

Post Likes

Starting Charcoal

I don't know about you but I can have problems with the chimney starters. I don't like to use starter fuel and the chimney takes a longer time. Sometimes I've used my Mapp handheld torch just to speed things up. I've never tried the paraffin starters.
    Today I looked at my turkey fryer and tried putting the charcoal chimney on the fryer burner. The charcoal started right away and was at full burn really fast. This is how I'll go especially if I'm in a hurry.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Wad up some newspaper and mound your charcoal over the top of the paper, light the paper.

The newspaper wont add any smell or flavor....lol.....to what you are cooking.

Do this on the grate so the air can come up thru the bottom.

Sort of like a chimney but you are making a combustible chimney for the paper out of the charcoal.

Post Likes
    If you had a grill with a side burner, you would not have to fire up the turkey fryer to light your grill. I recently bought the best grill I have ever owned. It is a gas grill, with a side burner, bolted to a charcoal grill, with a smoker box bolted to the charcoal grill. Putting the chimney on the side burner and then dumping it in the charcoal side is priceless.
    Eric

Post Likes
    I've got a side burner and also wads of newspaper. I was talking about speed. Sometimes I can be pressed for time. In the last time a storm was comming in.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    A little snark for your Friday.
    Speed and being pressed for time rarely yeilds a quality result, specially with charcoal. Why not put a chip burner on your gas grill and call it done? Speed and short time to start, the reason gas grills were developed.
    Eric

Post Likes
    With a Chimney Starter I can be ready to grill in 25 to 35 minutes. A sheet and half of newspaper, under the chimney starter. Left over charcoal goes on the bottom, new on top. Light it on four sides. Dump it after 15 to 20 minutes. Half close the bottom damper, barely crack the top damper. In 10 minutes the coals are ready to sear the meat. I then push the meat so it's at the edge of the coals to finish. Potatoes I pre-heat in the microwave before grilling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
    If you had a grill with a side burner, you would not have to fire up the turkey fryer to light your grill. I recently bought the best grill I have ever owned. It is a gas grill, with a side burner, bolted to a charcoal grill, with a smoker box bolted to the charcoal grill. Putting the chimney on the side burner and then dumping it in the charcoal side is priceless.
    Eric
    I would love to see a Picture of this Machine sounds like a beast!!!
    I would love to have a smoker

Post Likes
    I can tell you what not to use.

Long story short. Boating trip, miles from nowhere, plenty of hot dogs, buns and mustard, hungry kids and disgruntled wife(s). No lighter fluid. Me and my school teacher buddy decided to use a little gasoline. Worked great, charcoal got a nice grey ash and it got hot too.

Bad part - hot dogs tasted like 89 octance. Kids pissed, both wives pissed. Long ride back to boat ramp. Yes this story involves excessive alcohol.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in