Thread: Recruiting

Cool

I'm interested in knowing where those of you who run companies are finding new "career oriented" workers.
    This could include visits to high schools or vocational schools, displays at home shows, or talking to service-minded peple you spot at at a McDonald's or other public service establishment.
    We know not everyone is fit for college, but the high school counselors and parents seem bent on directing most high schoolers into college.
    HVACR can be a great career. How do you let people know that?
    Thanks for any thoughts.

Terry McIver, executive editor, Contracting Business magazine.

We mostly hire no experience techs and train them ourselfs. Started this 5 years ago and its been great. Only 2 of 10 left so far. Techs that have been through a few companies and have some experience under there belts only seem to work out for so long. And they are set in there ways. We like to train our guys, how we want things done. And it just seems easier with no experience employees.

Woops forgot the question at hand. We get these non-experienced employees from local newspapers and word of mouth.

ascj: Thanks for the information.
    Terry McIver, executive editor, Contracting Business magazine.

They could hire people like me,i'm almost out of school,worked a solid 22 years on the same type of job,i say that because the company just changed owners,but i have been to almost every company in Abilene that i can find,and only one will hre any of us part timer's,but they could look at the H.V.A.C. schools or technical schools that teach refrigeration and ac and heating.

charlie brown

I do the career days, take kids on work placement during the school year, hired one of the first interns (not a lewinsky either) full time was with me for 4 years. Got a couple students working for me right now for the summer.

Some kids are good, some are dumber than a bag of hammers. always a few diamonds in the rough out there.

I hear you,i go to school with some dumb as nails guy's,but i'm the old man of the class,44,sure feel old some day's,lol,but some of the guy's are sharp and actually do want to work,but hardly no one in the Abilene,texas area will hire them part time,even i'm starting to consider going back to my past work,and i don't want to but it looks like thats where i'll be,maybe off-shore this time,plus this area pays very little,a good tech with exp. will only make 12 to 15 an hour,the employers keep it that way,sooner or later the field will break open,we'll be cerified in different phases of the industry,and they'll have to pay and charge more to work on or install,sell unit's.

charlie brown

Hmm

we have recruted from schools and put them in install. half of them make it and half of the leftovers make it to service and half of them are worth it to keep and train. the few who have the heart, are awsome techs, after a year or three..

Cool JATC Recruting

Ruff Cab 69 if you want good money and full time work with free training for the rest of your life and a good network of bros call your local union hall a link to find it is http://www.ua.org.com

we don't have a union here,but i do know what they offer,and thankyou for the suggestion!

c.b.