Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ac freez up

Hmm

My ac system keeps freezing up on the condensate unit on top. I only had this problem a couple of times last year but this years its every day nothing has changed. I am wondering if i need a bigger blower.

I have a 2 story house with the unit down stairs. I keep the doors closed so the cold air stays upstairs, there is only one register down stairs that stays closed. It stays plenty cold down there.

I do not have any return duct that comes from upstairs. just sucks from downstairs.

Open all registers, ensure that the returns are not blocked, and replace the filter.

If problem persists, shut the system down and call for service. (Otherwise, you'll be looking for a new A/C soon enough)

forgot to add have made sure all the registers are full open and I have pulled the filter.

You could have a refrigerant leak. (or dirty evap coil.) Call a technician.

never did think about a dirty evap coil but woulndt you think that after a couple of times of freezing up when it melts it would wash off some of dirt.

Tomorrow I will pull off the cover and take a look at the coil and see if its that dirty. I do get great airflow through the system tough. I dont think i have a leak in the refrigerant, the return line is warm like it should be and the supply line is cold.

Return is warm? Supply is cold? Where? At the duct, or the tubes?

Supply refrigerant to indoor coil is warm before the coil, and cold after the coil - in cooling cycle; and hot before the coil and warm after the coil - in heating cycle.

Air is warm before the coil and colf after the coil - in cooling cycle, and the opposite happens in heating cycle.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Freezing? Did you do anything on your AC before this happens? Do you have a leak within the tube? Did you do any refrigerant charging before these incidents?

Otherwise, the most probable cause is dirty coil.

It is warm on the return refrigerant line right from the coil and all the way out and it is cold on the supply refrigerant line. in the cooling cycle dont have a heat pump to reverse flow.
    The air is warm before the inside coiland cold after until it freezes up. I did pull the panel and looked at the coil and clean as a whistle. no hair or dust on it at all.
    I have not done anything to the system to cause this. Like I said it did it a couple of times liast year but thats it now this year its like every day it freezes up. I have removed the filter and made sure all the registers were open and it still freezes up.

call a service tech

this probably ain't your problem, but I had one time seen a little copper burr broke loose from somewhere, got stuck in the flowrater and would cause the coil to freeze at certain outside temperatures.

Originally posted by cableguy103
    I did pull the panel and looked at the coil and clean as a whistle. no hair or dust on it at all.
    Did you look at BOTH sides of the coil?

Could be a slow leak somewhere, low on refrig. causes your evap coil to freeze up. Did someone previously add refrig to the unit? Coil frost ups usaully occur from lack of air or low on juice

I notice with my unit that if I put something in front of outflow to restrict the cold airflow the coil almost instantaneously starts to freeze up.

Yes i did look at both sides of the evap coil and clean as a wistle great air flow as i mentioned it previous post. I have not had any one check or fill the the freon in the lines.

If airflow is good i would check your suction psi, maybe low on charge, do you notice any sight glass bubbles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast