Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 49

Thread: Yep, Im a sicko

  1. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,649
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    Well, I respectfully disagree with "science" that is not a proven fact. It is but a theory.
    All of science is BOTH fact and theory.

    Facts and theories are different things, not rungs on a ladder of increasing confidence. Apologies to Steve Gould for stealing his words, but truly, no one has said it better.

    Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Einstiens theory of gravitation replaced Newton's, but apples continued to fall to the ground exactly the same way as they did before.

    Establishing a fact is done through observation and what we experience with our senses. THEN science begins. Science explains facts, it doesn't create them.

    Point is, if you are waiting for science that is a proven fact, you've got a long wait ahead of you!
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,468
    Science can develope theories. And if proven, they become facts. The Earth used to be thought of as flat, until proven otherwise. Thunder used to be thought of as Thor's Hammer or some other such superstition until proved otherwise. Until GW is proven, it is but a hoax at worst and ignorance at best.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,649
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    Science can develope theories. And if proven, they become facts. The Earth used to be thought of as flat, until proven otherwise. Thunder used to be thought of as Thor's Hammer or some other such superstition until proved otherwise. Until GW is proven, it is but a hoax at worst and ignorance at best.
    Those things were not resolved using science or theories. At least in a direct sense. Just as science is not out to make any kind of determination about God, it just so happens that some of the things that science says make some believers uncomfortable.

    It was observation that showed the world was not flat. Not scientific testing.

    The existence of superstitions also have nothing to do with science. Some still exist today despite scientific discovery. I agree that myths can be shown as such in many ways but the intent of science is simply to explain what we observe.

    Like Newton who made an observation that anyone can make; apples fall to the ground. Since we can all see that that's why it's a fact. Science had nothing to do with us determining that apples falling to the ground is a fact.

    Facts are established by their status of being mutually observable or mutually experienced. After we've established fact then science gets involved and wants to explain it.

    That global warming exists is a fact. The debate is how and why? What will its long-term effect be and what will we do about it if anything?

    Again, science explains facts it doesn't create them.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,467
    No problem. I'm just as curious as you as to what will be discovered minus the Government.
    Tracers work both ways.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Those things were not resolved using science or theories. At least in a direct sense. Just as science is not out to make any kind of determination about God, it just so happens that some of the things that science says make some believers uncomfortable.

    It was observation that showed the world was not flat. Not scientific testing.

    The existence of superstitions also have nothing to do with science. Some still exist today despite scientific discovery. I agree that myths can be shown as such in many ways but the intent of science is simply to explain what we observe.

    Like Newton who made an observation that anyone can make; apples fall to the ground. Since we can all see that that's why it's a fact. Science had nothing to do with us determining that apples falling to the ground is a fact.

    Facts are established by their status of being mutually observable or mutually experienced. After we've established fact then science gets involved and wants to explain it.

    That global warming exists is a fact. The debate is how and why? What will its long-term effect be and what will we do about it if anything?

    Again, science explains facts it doesn't create them.

    I never meant to infer that science creates facts. Molecular structure could not have been demonstrated without science. Distances in space, structure of stars, there are plenty of things that you can't just "see" and then explain. But that's irrelevant. Sure GW is happening. I've said that all along. Facts point to a cyclical pattern of Earth's climate as a caues though. Again, we are so insignificant in the big picture of things that we couldn't influence it if we wanted to. Therefore, we cannot cause or reverse it. If it's gonna happen, we are just along for the ride. We will adapt as in the past, or not.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Float'N Vally, MS
    Posts
    1,808
    Science a few years back was blood letting and leaches. Oh, and if something was really bad enough... Amputation!

    What we deem is science today, will be something totally different tomorrow.



    We are JUST STARTING to learn about the world that we live in.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

  7. #33
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,198
    anyone check out the Temp of the Gulf Stream?

    this is an interesting read:

    http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

    http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat_da...n=floridacoast

    I ain't saying one thing or another, but it seems to me the Gulf Stream has a LOT to do with GM and CC?
    BEING AN ADULT

    is the dumbest thing I have ever done

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,910
    The problem is that it is too easy for this woman to spew her idiocy across the globe.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

    Born Again KA

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    anyone check out the Temp of the Gulf Stream?

    this is an interesting read:

    http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

    http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat_da...n=floridacoast

    I ain't saying one thing or another, but it seems to me the Gulf Stream has a LOT to do with GM and CC?
    Yeh well, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seager
    The North Atlantic will not freeze over, and English Channel ferries will not have to plow their way through sea ice. A slowdown in thermohaline circulation should bring on a cooling tendency of at most a few degrees across the North Atlantic—one that would most likely be overwhelmed by the warming caused by rising concentrations of greenhouse gases.
    Perhaps you should read the whole article.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by bb View Post
    The problem is that it is too easy for this woman to spew her idiocy across the globe.
    What would she know anyway?

    She's not even photogenic!

    You've got one thing right bb, it is easy for people to spread idiocy across the globe.

    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  11. #37
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    Yeh well, no.



    Perhaps you should read the whole article.
    seriously? did you bother to read the first link I posted, of course not
    BEING AN ADULT

    is the dumbest thing I have ever done

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    seriously? did you bother to read the first link I posted, of course not
    Well yes, I did.

    That's where I got the link to the article I linked to.

    Did you bother to read it?

    I know it runs to 5 pages but hey, give it a shot.

    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    seriously? did you bother to read the first link I posted, of course not
    Read it myself.

    In contrast, transport of heat by the ocean has a minor in¸ infuence
    on the wintertime zonal asymmetries of temperature. Even in the zonal mean, OHT has a small effect compared to those of seasonal heat storage and release by the ocean and atmospheric heat transport. In retrospect these conclusions may seem obvious, but we are unaware of any published explanation of why winters in western Europe are mild that does not invoke poleward heat transport by the ocean as an important in¸fuence that augments its maritime climate.
    In other words, the tempering effect of being by a big heat absorber-radiator tempers the temperature of Europe, not the Gulf Stream. Fair enough. So what is your point in relation to Global Warming?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event