Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 40 to 49 of 49

Thread: Yep, Im a sicko

  1. #40
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,049
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Read it myself.



    In other words, the tempering effect of being by a big heat absorber-radiator tempers the temperature of Europe, not the Gulf Stream. Fair enough. So what is your point in relation to Global Warming?
    that the gulf stream has more to do with GW than CO˛
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    that the gulf stream has more to do with GW than CO˛
    How so? I missed that in the paper.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  3. #42
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,049
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    How so? I missed that in the paper.
    Im just saying, It seems logical TO ME (and no one else) that the gulf stream has more to do with CC than atmospheric conditions
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    that the gulf stream has more to do with GW than CO˛
    When my wife was attending College, oh, about ten years ago now, this was what they were teaching. Is it still taught? Don't know.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  5. #44
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,049
    I don't have a clue. BUT it seems to me if you take 300 gazillion gallons of water from the Equator, heat it up and send it north to a colder climate......something is going to change.

    Is it a bad thing? or a good thing.

    Personally, I like being warm.......for once?
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Those things were not resolved using science or theories. At least in a direct sense. Just as science is not out to make any kind of determination about God, it just so happens that some of the things that science says make some believers uncomfortable.

    It was observation that showed the world was not flat. Not scientific testing.

    The existence of superstitions also have nothing to do with science. Some still exist today despite scientific discovery. I agree that myths can be shown as such in many ways but the intent of science is simply to explain what we observe.

    Like Newton who made an observation that anyone can make; apples fall to the ground. Since we can all see that that's why it's a fact. Science had nothing to do with us determining that apples falling to the ground is a fact.

    Facts are established by their status of being mutually observable or mutually experienced. After we've established fact then science gets involved and wants to explain it.

    That global warming exists is a fact. The debate is how and why? What will its long-term effect be and what will we do about it if anything?

    Again, science explains facts it doesn't create them.
    So if GW is happening, or for that matter if Global Cooling "was" happening and these were normal cylcles of nature, should we interfere? Are we arrogant in the assumption that we can interfere or stop the warming/cooling?

    I understand that we should do our best to be mindful of nature and to be considerate in our usage of natural resouces as best we can. I don't think we should be on the fringes of either extreme (the tree huggers or the don't give a crap about the environment crowd, if there is one). But if global warming is happening, and we see that in the distant past it has been much warmer on earth, might we be best to just buckle up for the ride and adapt to what comes of it?

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,504
    Quote Originally Posted by WebCTRL View Post
    So if GW is happening, or for that matter if Global Cooling "was" happening and these were normal cylcles of nature, should we interfere? Are we arrogant in the assumption that we can interfere or stop the warming/cooling?

    I understand that we should do our best to be mindful of nature and to be considerate in our usage of natural resouces as best we can. I don't think we should be on the fringes of either extreme (the tree huggers or the don't give a crap about the environment crowd, if there is one). But if global warming is happening, and we see that in the distant past it has been much warmer on earth, might we be best to just buckle up for the ride and adapt to what comes of it?
    I haven't seen a proposal that could be considered an "active" response that I thought was worth a crap. Certainly our record with regards to attempting to control nature have a historically dismal record as well. In fact, a couple of these proposals have been downright scary looking to me.

    Passive response I'm ok with since there is a lot more than C02 happening at the end of a smokestack or tailpipe.

    Speaking practically, the debate isn't going to mean much when it gets right down to it. Kyoto was pretty abysmal in achievment and with the world economy tanking, there are more important things to worry about than GW at the moment.

    Global warming will require a global response if any. In my opinion we've got better odds of me seeing God.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I don't have a clue. BUT it seems to me if you take 300 gazillion gallons of water from the Equator, heat it up and send it north to a colder climate......something is going to change.

    Is it a bad thing? or a good thing.

    Personally, I like being warm.......for once?
    Not sure if you caught it, but the author of the article is saying that the Gulf Stream is not the cause of a warm Europe. You may want to re-read the paper.

    And since the Gulf Stream has been doing its thing for a long while, even before the industrial era, what does this have to do with Global warming? I have no clue what you are thinking.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  9. #48
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,049
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Not sure if you caught it, but the author of the article is saying that the Gulf Stream is not the cause of a warm Europe. You may want to re-read the paper.

    And since the Gulf Stream has been doing its thing for a long while, even before the industrial era, what does this have to do with Global warming? I have no clue what you are thinking.

    I don't care.
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I don't care.
    Then...
    Why post the link?

    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event