Thinking about switching contractors.

I currently work for a large mechanical contractor and received a job offer from our local Trane Office. At the company I currently work for I do about 50% controls and 50% commercial mechanical service. Trane would be hiring me as a strictly large tonnage tech and provide the nessacery training. The money is the same but trane offers a little more vacation time. I'm debating on weather it's worth making the switch to strictly large tonnage. Anyone run into a similar situation?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

Boston Trane is Union. Is your current job Union? If not, weigh all your options. Most non-union Trane branches have a crap up-to-6 percent match. The only exception I know of is Chicago Trane - 8 percent. Woo hoo!

Yea I'm currently in the union.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

What do you prefer, mixed bag or heavy metal? I know a guy that been with United Technologies since before Carrier was owned by UTC. Not really, I dont know it's it been that long. We'll say 25 years. He says he got an offer to go work for a regionally owned Union shop. He says it was for at least $5/Hr more. He didn't take the job.

I've known guys that have worked for Trane out of my local office, which is non-union. They have all been very happy with the experience. That branch has been suffering from layoffs lately.

Boston Trane is non-union? Or are you not referring to Trane in Boston?

Boston train is union.

If there willing to pay and teach go for it.

FWIW, I was always of the opinion you couldn't beat a factory gig. The manufacturers seemed to provide better training, better support and better than average stability.

But that was before...before they got bought (screwed ?) up by larger corporations. I don't think York will ever come close to being as employee friendly as it was before JCI came along. The local Trane office here went through some upheaval after the Ingersoll Rand purchase.

So I'd have trouble suggesting what you should do. Since Trane is union in Boston you won't lose any benefits if things don't work out. You can move on. Sometimes it depends on the manager. If he/she can isolate the technicians from the majority of the corporate BS, then it may be a great place to work. If the manger is a by the book corporate person, then life can really suck. Maybe you should try to talk to the rank and file to get a gist of the work environment as they perceive it.