+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 23 XRV Oil issue

Post Likes

23 XRV Oil issue

Went on a call on a 23xrv tripping on low oil. Got there and saw it had been reset 4 times..... Found the oil level half way in the strainer glass. Added oil and started the machine, oil pressure was good at 32psi and watched the vaporizer. Ball valve opened up and vaporizer had good flow, sight glass from vaporizer to oil sump was showing oil flow. Oil sump started getting cold and drain line from the bearings got cold enough to sweat. I noticed bubbles in the strainer glass and oil pressure started to drop. Machine tripped on low oil pressure within approx 15 mins. I noticed an empty 5 gallon can of oil in the room but the maint guy is new.

Cond in 85
    Cond out 92
    Evap in 56
    Evap out 52
    Saturated evap 42
    Saturated cond 89

High evap approach and noisy compressor plus running at 75% but max amps was telling me oil logged evap.

This machine probably has 3 oil charges in it now.
    I suspect a blown oil seal. What do you guys think?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Do you have any other faults in the history?
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Post Likes

Faults

It had some condenser approach alerts and some low evap temp alarms from back in the winter.
    The maint guy did say the screen in the tower got clogged but no high pressure trips.

Thanks for your response.

Post Likes
    I hate to say this, but you may be in over your head if your throwing a lifeline out here on this chiller. I would call Carrier and have them come and repair. This chiller is a critically charged unit, in regards to oil and refrigerant. This chiller does not use oil like a regular screw. Alot of variables with this unit running properly. Tell the customer to stick with one service provider as well, whoever it may be. If you do choose to jump in, remove and distile the gas and oil first. Then start your troublshooting.

Good luck, with whatever route you choose.

Post Likes
    Spinning is correct. The problem is probably with the vaporizer.

Post Likes

XRV

Vaporizor was ok, heater was working and valve was working with correct temps.
    I always try to learn from others experience after all thats what this forum is supposed to be about. Even after more than 25 years in the field I still have a lot to learn.

Come to find out when I pulled the strainer out it had some plastic in it. I believe there is a bulletin out there somewhere about it.

Thanks for replies.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
    Vaporizor was ok, heater was working and valve was working with correct temps.
    I always try to learn from others experience after all thats what this forum is supposed to be about. Even after more than 25 years in the field I still have a lot to learn.

Come to find out when I pulled the strainer out it had some plastic in it. I believe there is a bulletin out there somewhere about it.

Thanks for replies.
    Sorry to say I didn`t see any SB referring to a strainer.

Post Likes
    Yes there is a confidential service bulletin on this issue. The plastic polymer seen in the oil sight glass and in the strainer is from the discharge muffler. If the problem is not addressed it can possibly plug up the motor cooling line, VFD refrigerant cooling line and cause low oil pressure issues. The entire discharge muffler must be removed with a new muffler welded in. Oil changed along with several changes made with the repair.

9. Likes ruuufuhbock liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've replaced a few of the muffler assembly not that hard but contractors can't buy the parts. The mufflers have a extended warranty but I believe needs to be replaced by Carrier. Also the vaporizer can get restricted and should be checked.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in