Carrier 30HC chiller startup probs

Having trouble establishing oil pressure on startup after extended shutdowns. Thinking of adding a heater to the condenser shell to keep refrigerant out of the oil. Experience???

What do you mean by extended ? Both circuits ?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Off for the winter. Both circuits. Last few years we have been able to start by running hot water through the condenser, cold water through the evap before startup. This year still fails to establish pre-start oil pressure.

Open your exv's up and run cold water thru the condenser. Your oil has migrated to the condenser. You must have the fist sized prelube pumps.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I'll try it. Yes, I have the fist-sized pumps. Thanks. We have the same problem when the machine cycles off on cool days. Any prevention?

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerMike123 View Post
    I'll try it. Yes, I have the fist-sized pumps. Thanks. We have the same problem when the machine cycles off on cool days. Any prevention?
    Keep the condenser cooler than the evaporator. I have one that migrates every year . I just pump it over once a year.
    UA 100