Energywise structures

I have been a builder for nearly 20 years, and have been a foam insulation contractor for 8. I learned at the beginning form Energy Wise Structures. I can assure you that their sizing of A/C equipment is going to be better than most A/C contractors. They have thousands of home under meter contols. They know what is going on. Do NOt be afraid to use their recommendations. As a builder I have proven them. Usually the tonnage is about 40-50 percent less than what you would normally come up with. We usually use them when we are working with a new A/C contractor to make them feel safer. It does work. WE usually use their recommendation and 2 stage equipment. For instance, a 3100 sq foot house might normally come out to 6-7 tons regularly, we might put in a 4 ton two stage, and that means the house will be colled on 2 tons about 90-95% of the time. IT really works! The customers will call back and say they have never lived in a house that comfortable, even in the 110-115 degress we had last year,...No Complaints! Ou A/C guys need to stop fighting it nd just join the wave. It will make your job easier and your customers happier.

Enegy Wise example

We just foamed a building for a church that was 11900 sq feet, 24 foot walls. The archetect was figuring 48 tons of air. We re-engineered this, and
    with Energy wise and came up with 18 tons of air. The savings in tonnage paid for the foam and then some. Now this A/C contractor was cool with that, but I can understand that some would considerthat a downgrade in a sale and lost revenue, but times have changed for all of us. We started out gauranteeing the HVAC part of the bill at less than 400 with 16 seer residential units, we ended up with I beilieve it was 10 seer units, and the guarantee went to $600.00 per month. How many of you are so confident in your sizing of air conditioners that you will guarantee a utility bill? We put a separate meter on the homes to achieve the guarantee.
    On a 2635 sq foot home, 2 story in Bryan, TX, we used a 3.5 Ton single stage A/C and guarranteed the A?C protion of the bill for two years at $66.00 per month. It averages Just $42.22! Foam insulation and "Right-Sizing" of the HVAC system works everytime!

Quote Originally Posted by damedi07 View Post
    76, imo, is not comfortable for inside a house. low humidity or not, 76 is too hot for me to sleep comfortably. i have my house at 70-72 and that's wher ei'm most comfortable. if it sounds high to you, it's because it probably is. have them design the system for a lower indoor design temp and then have them put in a 2-stage cooling system with a variable speed blower. this set-up will have pretty good humidity control and wil be bale to handle the loads of the hottest summer days while still being capable of handling the lighter days without being oversized.
    You've probably never slept in 76F... with 40%RH and a ceiling fan running. It's fairly cool. But I agree, I prefer 74-75F for sleeping in summer. But it really all depends on the humidity level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregpruitt55 View Post
    We just foamed a building for a church that was 11900 sq feet, 24 foot walls. The archetect was figuring 48 tons of air. We re-engineered this, and
    with Energy wise and came up with 18 tons of air. The savings in tonnage paid for the foam and then some. Now this A/C contractor was cool with that, but I can understand that some would considerthat a downgrade in a sale and lost revenue, but times have changed for all of us. We started out gauranteeing the HVAC part of the bill at less than 400 with 16 seer residential units, we ended up with I beilieve it was 10 seer units, and the guarantee went to $600.00 per month. How many of you are so confident in your sizing of air conditioners that you will guarantee a utility bill? We put a separate meter on the homes to achieve the guarantee.
    On a 2635 sq foot home, 2 story in Bryan, TX, we used a 3.5 Ton single stage A/C and guarranteed the A?C protion of the bill for two years at $66.00 per month. It averages Just $42.22! Foam insulation and "Right-Sizing" of the HVAC system works everytime!
    A good salesperson will then try and upsell the equipment for comfort with 2 stage equipment or zoning using what they saved. Ultimately at hte residential level, the equpment cost itself between 2 ton or 3 ton isn't huge anyway. But 48 vs. 18 ton, ya... that would change the installation costs a bit. Althogyh your fresh air reqirements didn;t change, so I'm a little suprised that 18 tons is adequate.

Everybody wins when we start with the home & the duct system efficiencies...

There are many economic reasons for reeducating HVAC contractors toward using these super energy efficiency methodologies.

If we don't greatly reduce our energy usage nationally & globally the cost of fossil fuel energy sources will become UN-affordable & our global economy will collapse.

This is NO Joke, what we do Now Energy-Wise will determine whether we have a sustainable economic future.

Everybody wins when we start with the home & the duct system efficiencies...High SEER Levels alone do not translate into the most effective 'Ways&Means' to achieve super energy cost savings...

Therefore, do we want to be FUTURE winners or losers?

Google: empowerment communications or udarrell - for a lot of definitive information on this critically important issue concerning our (HVAC) future...
    Last edited by udarrell; 05-11-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: For a lot of definitive information on this critical (HVAC) issue...

That's a great point. If you can reduce the equipment requirements from 3 to 2 tons for example, that's the same or better than installing a 20 SEER vs. a 13 SEER system. The benefits last the lifetime of the structure, not just for the 10-15 years of the equiipment life.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    A good salesperson will then try and upsell the equipment for comfort with 2 stage equipment or zoning using what they saved. Ultimately at hte residential level, the equpment cost itself between 2 ton or 3 ton isn't huge anyway. But 48 vs. 18 ton, ya... that would change the installation costs a bit. Althogyh your fresh air reqirements didn;t change, so I'm a little suprised that 18 tons is adequate.
    Well we will see pretty soon, so far with EnergyWise we have not had a failure.