Thread: York YCAS TEXV

Post Likes

Confused York YCAS TEXV

First off I am a controls contractor not a mechanical contractor. I have a client that has a 160 ton York YCAS Air cooled Screw, I have 8 tanks of Ice storage and have the chiller in Glycol mode. Tried 3 times to make ice but chiller kept turning off on low liquid temp, ice forming in barrel.

I told the client they had to get chiller mechanic out there, he discovered that the wiring Loom had been cut off and the TEXV were changed out to TXV (hoping I have Acronym correct).

This client doesnt seem to think that there is any urgency to repair this issue, the chiller is cooling the water I have the water temp set at 39 degrees, about every 7 or 8 days the water temp gradually starts climbing. I have an alarm set at 50 degrees, then the chiller needs to be fully reset (no power) and the cycle starts again. This is a low hour chiller and they are a non profit so I know if something happens to this chiller they will be hurting for sure. I have no skin in the game financially just hate to see something get ruined from ignorance.

Other than thinking they are stupid for not realizing how important this issue is, can anybody give me information as to what could really happen to the chillerif not repaired.

Post Likes
    Maybe a York tech will chime in on this but I think they have gone away from the EEVs so if they had a failure they would have replaced it with a TXV. They don't recomend having mixed type of valves so they should have converted them to TXVs with liquid line solenoids.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by always looking View Post
    Maybe a York tech will chime in on this but I think they have gone away from the EEVs so if they had a failure they would have replaced it with a TXV. They don't recomend having mixed type of valves so they should have converted them to TXVs with liquid line solenoids.
    Yep.

i guess, what is the issue? you said that the chiller was tripping on low leaving water temperature, but if the setpoint is 39F, you shouldn't be freezing up. you won't be making ice either. not exactly sure what your question is.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Post Likes
    Having EEV or TEV should not matter unless the TEVs are not adjusted properly. There is a kit to change out the failed EEV.
    When you put the chiller in ice mode you can now adjust the leaving water cut out to what you need as a safety to stop the chiller above the glycol freeze point. Need to verify the amount of glycol.
    At 39 degrees water the refrigerant could be as low as 29 degrees. At the ends of the barrel are end plates that redirect the flow of the gas , if the insulation is thinned over the years this plate can form ice. Now if you mean ice was forming in side the fluid side of the chiller that is a flow problem, glycol amount problem or temp sensors out of calibration.
    The temp climbing sounds like flow and glycol.
    Verify that the heat conductive compound in the well that the chiller temp probes are in is still soft and that the probe is all the way down in the well if it is setting high temp control will be off. Being an older chiller the probes could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk