+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrier chiller condenser fan problems

Post Likes

Carrier chiller condenser fan problems

I ran across a Carrier Model 30RBB13064-5-7-3 today...had 2 condenser fans with the center hubs split in half, spinning wildly and generally making enough noise to make you want run for cover. These fan assemblies are made of plastic, and bolt on to the the motor shaft. They have keyways, but no setscrews. We just took this chiller under contract recently, not much service info left from previous service provider, other than a note that a fan/motor had been replaced 5-2-11 for the same reason. I won't give the exact price for two motors/blades we're getting hit with, but I will describe it generally as a mortgage payment. With a car payment to boot.
    Anyway-has anyone run across problems on this model-or with other units with the same type of blade assembly? I'd be thinking loose mounts causing wobble and stress-only everything is tight. Likewise, the bolts securing the blades to the shafts were tight. Also no indication of short cycling.

Post Likes
    Motor bearings were all good?

Post Likes
    Bearings good, couldn't see any wobble in the shaft.

Post Likes
    I've got a dozon or so of those units and have worked on many more and have never had that problem. I really like the way those are setup, so easy to work on. I could not find a sb on it either. maybe the bolt was overtighted. if you figure it out let us know.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input With the sticker shock for the replacement, I was hoping this was just a fluke. Will certainly check the torque specs when the new ones go on.

Post Likes
    Havent had any issues, sounds like a fluke to me.

Post Likes
    i have started and serviced alot of these chillers and only had 1 fan with this problem, good luck.

Post Likes
    Thanks VAroadking-
    I changed the motors and blades, and made sure ALL the fans were torqued to Carrier listed specs. The previous service provider lost another motor/blade on this unit almost exactly a year to the day I found the two failed the same day...Stuff like that always makes the short hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
    Gotta be tough when you're dumb!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in