Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    And no one can prove or disprove dark matter. Yet scientists believe it exists. That's Faith.
    Nope. Scientists have evidence that dark matter exsists. That's science.

http://www.ipmu.jp/node/1222
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Actually, theism to a degree has empirical evidence to support it. When all peoples of all places on Earth have the same spiritual beliefs despite the fact that they are not in any way in communication with one another, we must take into consideration that their is a reality to their beliefs.
    Could you be more specific about these alleged common spiritual beliefs?

A good start would be to precisely define "spiritual beliefs."

Next you could present your metrics and methodologies utilized in discovering and quantifying your assertion.

Next you could show (with relevant anthropological studies) the clear commonalities between various belief systems.

Of course you would have to present a credible case of why your assertion is not merely an artefact of an apologistic mindset (which is the most likely explanation).

Just as dark is meaningless without light and cold is meaningless without heat, God is our gauge for existing. There is nothing less then total darkness as there is nothing less then total coldness as there is nothing less less then reality. The amount of God in our lives determines the amount of reality, which can go forward infinitely but cannot go back before Creation.

In the physical world, something cannot come from nothing. Even nothingness in the physical world is really something. There had to be something that sparked the Universe to life, and that something is what we refer to as God.
    Third rate, weed induced type philosophy.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Nope. Scientists have evidence that dark matter exsists. That's science.

http://www.ipmu.jp/node/1222
    They used computer simulations to come that conclusion.
    That's not concrete proof.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

In the very first sentence in the very first paragraph.........."used large-scale computer simulations AND RECENT OBSERVATIONAL DATA"

Also it seems you overlooked figure 2.

Notice how the computer simulation and the observational data beautifully match.

Scientists have for years considered gravitational anomalies as evidence for dark matter. Now these anomalies are confirmed by computer and observational methodologies.

You called the acceptance of dark matter "faith."

You couldn't be more wrong, acceptance of dark matter was and is a matter of evidence.

Chapman Cohen

In the very first sentence in the very first paragraph.........."used large-scale computer simulations AND RECENT OBSERVATIONAL DATA"

Also it seems you overlooked figure 2.

Notice how the computer simulation and the observational data beautifully match.

Scientists have for years considered gravitational anomalies as evidence for dark matter. Now these anomalies are confirmed by computer and observational methodologies.

You called the acceptance of dark matter "faith."

You couldn't be more wrong, acceptance of dark matter was and is a matter of evidence.
    Observation is looking at something with your eyes. That's the worst form of evidence. People can see the same thing and interpret it differently.

Besides, the theory of dark matter came about 80 yrs ago. So up until now it was a matter of Faith. They had no evidence and no way of proving it, till now, if you believe it.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Observation is looking at something with your eyes.
    In this case looking through meticulously crafted and precise telescopes with the aid of complex computer programs and finally interpreted by the finest minds in science.

Even then the resulting scientific paper is scrutinized by more fine minds before these observations are published in the leading journal of astrophysics.

From your statement you seem to believe that astrophysicists merely walk outside and look up.

That's the worst form of evidence.
    That might be the case in legal systems (although eyewitness testimony has sent many, many folks to jail and to the chair) but in science.....a big no.

A significant quanity of the scientific knowledge gained about the universe has been due to observation. Indeed, a massive amount of knowledge in all areas of science is largely the result of observation.

People can see the same thing and interpret it differently.
    Indeed they can.

To combat this situation science has the peer-review process and beyond that testing to see if the same results can be produced using the same methodologies.

The only problem I observe here is a lack of understanding of scientific principles, methodologies and history.

But then that is not science's problem but yours.

Besides, the theory of dark matter came about 80 yrs ago. So up until now it was a matter of Faith.They had no evidence and no way of proving it, till now, if you believe it.
    Actually, evidence for dark matter[orbital and mass anomalies) has been known since the early thirties while the passing years have seen the evidence accumulate.

Given this evidence, your insistence that the acceptance of dark matter is or was an article of faith fails miserably.

Chapman Cohen

Actually, evidence for dark matter[orbital and mass anomalies) has been known since the early thirties while the passing years have seen the evidence accumulate.
    I said 80yrs. Ago but his theory wasn't investigated till 40-50yrs later. That's hardly accumulating evidence.
    Given this evidence, your insistence that the acceptance of dark matter is or was an article of faith fails miserably.
    You have theories supporting dark matter, and there are opposing theories.

http://m.phys.org/news/2012-04-dark-...-lack-sun.html

The only problem I observe here is a lack of understanding of scientific principles, methodologies and history.

But then that is not science's problem but yours.
    What is it with you and Bacnet and others with your condescending attitudes on this site. None of you are scientists. If you were you wouldn't be wasting your time here in the basement with the rest of us poor Christian HVAC saps.

AND FOR THE RECORD, ALTHOUGH I'VE SAID IT BEFORE, I GUESS I'LL SAY IT AGAIN SINCE NOBODY FREAKIN LISTENS, I AM NOT OPPOSED TO SCIENCE! AND WHY IS IT THAT SCIENTISTS CAN DISAGREE OR QUESTION EACH OTHER BUT THE REST OF US LOWLY PEOPLE CAN'T DO THE SAME. BTW THAT'S A RETORICAL QUESTION.

What is it with you and Bacnet and others with your condescending attitudes on this site. None of you are scientists. If you were you wouldn't be wasting your time here in the basement with the rest of us poor Christian HVAC saps.

AND FOR THE RECORD, ALTHOUGH I'VE SAID IT BEFORE, I GUESS I'LL SAY IT AGAIN SINCE NOBODY FREAKIN LISTENS, I AM NOT OPPOSED TO SCIENCE! AND WHY IS IT THAT SCIENTISTS CAN DISAGREE OR QUESTION EACH OTHER BUT THE REST OF US LOWLY PEOPLE CAN'T DO THE SAME. BTW THAT'S A RETORICAL QUESTION.
    I would rather argue with science than geer. Just sayin' .
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I would rather argue with science than geer. Just sayin' .
    I just noticed he is listed as a regular guest since 2000. Not even a pro member. Odd?

It's called a "model", and it is the biggest propoganda tool being used by leftists for many issues. The entire global warming scare is based on models that have been proven to have been deliberately manipulated to show the outcome that the model designers want the models to prove.

Based on leftists abuse of models, a leftist in the HVAC industry wanting to sell a 5 ton system to someone with a 900 square foot house built to today's standards, I guarantee that they could do so...using Manual J!

FYI: Recent observational data is whatever data was recently observed that would make the model tell the story the model builder wants the model to tell.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

You have theories supporting dark matter, and there are opposing theories.

http://m.phys.org/news/2012-04-dark-...-lack-sun.html
    You will never....ever, get geer to behave in a rational manner when it comes to a conversation. It is just not in her DNA. All you will ever wind up with is frustration over having tried to converse with someone who refuses to converse honestly.

BACnet is a different story. He is actually a decent guy who just seems to go into some alter ego at times on this site. If I had to guess geer's reason for posting here, it would be that geer is simply practicing rhetorical argumentation methods.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast