+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controling superheat to check hot gas bypass

Post Likes

Controling superheat to check hot gas bypass

Looking at an ice machine today, very vague i know but, checking sh and sc off the chart so to speak sh about 40-50 subcool negative 40-50. Way udercharge Im thinking so I add bout ten percent of factory charge along the way hoping to see sh come undercontrol and sc get positive. no, was able to get superheat lower and lower with additional charge but sc still in the neg 30 range. I said compressor at first but now im thinking hot gas by pass leaking....because txv should have limited superheat yet I was able to get it below five.. I did this, I think by forcing more refrigerant into system around the txv if it were not the hot gas bypass then txv should have controlled superheat instead it was directly proportional to charge. Is this correct ? I know its probally easier to just check delta t across valve but I left befor I could think of that.

Post Likes
    Did you check to see if the solenoid was receiving power ?

Post Likes
    What kind of ice machine is this? When on a service call for ice machine, I usually check delta T on hot gas bypass, verify operation of condenser fan (if air cooled), verify H2O fill valve shutting off. I would check all this at a minimum before I started adding refrigerant.

Post Likes
    I should have, but did not. That would indicate an electrical malfunction because it was in the freeze cycle and should not be energized. Pressures were almost equal about 80's on low and 90's on high, you think that valve is wide open?

Post Likes
    socotech is right I should have not added gas without being more thorough. I saw oil on the refrigerant plumbing and looking at the numbers, thought leak, when it couldnt pull down low or pressurise high after 10 percent more charge I thought compressor. I only do a few ice machines. mostly I do med temp and they dont have hot gas valves so I was in somewhat unfamiliar territory. Condenser fan not coming on because of low pressure on high side eventually it does though. I guess a leaking or open hot gas bypass can look like a weak compressor. From now on every ice machine gets a delta t on bypass valve. I checked for water issues fill valve is shutting off but water sump is cracked and leaking slightly like its been for many months with acceptable ice production, this is a new problem

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coldmark View Post
    you think that valve is wide open?
    If so the line would be warm on both sides of the valve.

Post Likes
    Leaking bypass would cause low head, high suction, condenser fan to cycle. Oh and of course.....no ice.

I also like to put a pocket thermometer in sump, if possible, just to monitor progress. A properly operating machine will usually start at about ambient, then steadily pull down to 32* until harvest begins.

Post Likes
    Yep high suction low head cond. fan not cycling though. After a long delay when high side heats up n pressurizes enough it will come on seems to stay on didn't stay for a harvest though, owner told me it averages an hour or more. I'll check by pass next. If valve were leaking would there be any harvest?

Post Likes
    socotech is right I should have not added gas without being more thorough. I saw oil on the refrigerant plumbing and looking at the numbers, thought leak, when it couldnt pull down low or pressurise high after 10 percent more charge I thought compressor. I only do a few ice machines. mostly I do med temp and they dont have hot gas valves so I was in somewhat unfamiliar territory. Condenser fan not coming on because of low pressure on high side eventually it does though. I guess a leaking or open hot gas bypass can look like a weak compressor. From now on every ice machine gets a delta t on bypass valve. I checked for water issues fill valve is shutting off but water sump is cracked and leaking slightly like its been for many months with acceptable ice production, this is a new problem
    Oil? That's what a leak looks like. Find it, fix it and recharge properly by the book.

Post Likes
    If valve were leaking would there be any harvest?
    That would be a full time harvest. There would be no ice to harvest.

Post Likes
    Yep high suction low head cond. fan not cycling though. After a long delay when high side heats up n pressurizes enough it will come on seems to stay on didn't stay for a harvest though, owner told me it averages an hour or more. I'll check by pass next. If valve were leaking would there be any harvest?
    No. If bypass leaking, there will be no harvest because there will be no ice. No ice = ice sensor probe not shorted to initiate harvest (or whatever type you have). Do you remember what type/brand machine it was?

Post Likes
    well saw that oil before when it had a faulty spdt power switch. I haven't seen many leaks without the telltale oil so we think alike icemeister but its plenty charged superheat is dangerous low. So if it has a harvest but just takes forever then weak comp. if it never harvests then leaking valve, I'd love to hear its that simple especially cause I already said it was ineffiecient comp.

Post Likes
    I feel like a hack cause I am posting without equip. data. Ice sensor is the bridge thickness type where water runs over hindged sensor and initiates harvest. I forgot to mention this machine its in its twenties. A while back I adjusted the sensor to compensate for ice bridge thickness variation due to temperature glide in evap with 414b its an old r12 and some other charged it with hotshot, maybe when that oil showed up. Its not freezing the evap. If there would be no harvest with a leaky valve then Im still thinking comp. cause it does harvest just takes forever.

Post Likes

If you were

Bypassing hot gas, the superheat would be sky high.

You have a weak compressor.

Post Likes
    heatingman that sounds like what im thinking superheat was sky high till I added in a little more gas then I could get it down but still no sc. Are you saying with a hot gas leak no matter how overcharged there can be no resonable superheat?

Post Likes
    I feel like a hack cause I am posting without equip. data. Ice sensor is the bridge thickness type where water runs over hindged sensor and initiates harvest. I forgot to mention this machine its in its twenties. A while back I adjusted the sensor to compensate for ice bridge thickness variation due to temperature glide in evap with 414b its an old r12 and some other charged it with hotshot, maybe when that oil showed up. Its not freezing the evap. If there would be no harvest with a leaky valve then Im still thinking comp. cause it does harvest just takes forever.
    Sounds like an old Manitowok. Customer will be better off with a new head unit. Compressor is gonna be $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post Likes
    got a low temp glycol chiller r12 sittn in back yard. Comp. looks the same except for location of suct and disch gonna check tech. spec. told him id sell it for $25 just pay for a professional transplant doing me a favor freeing up space in yard. Dont want a misdiagnosis either..... im gonna check n recheck then its heart transplant. I knew I saved that thing for something.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    Sounds like an old Manitowok. Customer will be better off with a new head unit. Compressor is gonna be $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I have never seen a R12 ice machine many 502's though.

Post Likes
    got a low temp glycol chiller r12 sittn in back yard. Comp. looks the same except for location of suct and disch gonna check tech. spec. told him id sell it for $25 just pay for a professional transplant doing me a favor freeing up space in yard. Dont want a misdiagnosis either..... im gonna check n recheck then its heart transplant. I knew I saved that thing for something.
    That glycol chiller is worth much more then that. You should sell that to the local bar.

Post Likes
    That sounds great. Be sure to let us know the results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in