The Liberal Blueprint - The Life of Julia

Obama's 'Life of Julia' is the wrong vision for America - By William J. Bennett, CNN Contributor

Editor's note: William J. Bennett, a CNN contributor, is the author of "The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood." He was U.S. secretary of education from 1985 to 1988 and director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy under President George H.W. Bush.

(CNN) -- Last week, President Obama's campaign launched a fictional storybook ad called, "The Life of Julia." The slide show narrative follows Julia, a cartoon character, from age 3 to age 67 and explains how Obama's policies, from Head Start to Obamacare to mandated contraception coverage to Medicare reform, would provide Julia with a better life than Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan could.

Julia is not your typical all-American girl, but an obviously independent, yuppie liberal woman. She goes to public school, graduates college, and becomes a Web designer. She is able to pursue her career because, at age 27, "her health insurance is required to cover birth control and preventive care, letting Julia focus on her work rather than worry about her health."

At age 31 she "decides to have a child," with no mention of a father or husband. Her son Zachary heads off to a Race to the Top funded public school, while Julia goes on to start her own Web business. She retires at age 67 with Social Security and Medicare supporting her financially and spends her later years volunteering in a community garden.

Julia's happily-ever-after tale is remarkably void of reality. Nowhere in her fictional life is it mentioned that Head Start has done little, if anything, to improve elementary education, that she will likely graduate with $25,000 in student loan debt, that she has a 50% chance of being unemployed or underemployed after college, that Medicare and Social Security are headed toward insolvency, and that her share of the national debt is $50,000 and growing.

For Republicans, Julia's story might seem like a joke too good to be true, but they should take it very seriously. Because buried within "The Life of Julia" is the ideological vision of modern liberalism -- to create a state that takes care of its people from cradle to grave. The story of Julia is a microcosm of Obama's vision for America and emblematic of his view of the government's role in an individual's life.

"The Life of Julia" has done what many conservatives have failed to do so far -- outline in exacting detail what modern Democratic policy wants for individuals. Here we have Obama's 21st century synthesis of the Great Society, New Deal and New Frontier.

Julia's entire life is defined by her interactions with the state. Government is everywhere and each step of her life is tied to a government program. Notably absent in her story is any relationship with a husband, family, church or community, except a "community" garden where she works post-retirement. Instead, the state has taken their place and is her primary relationship.

As banal and hackneyed as Julia's life of government dependence may seem, many Americans support it. After all, similar promises lured a number of European countries into overreaching and under-supported social safety nets. With the American family less intact than ever and with single motherhood at historic highs, women like Julia are increasingly left on their own. The idea of government assistance can become more and more attractive to them and even necessary.

Democratic policymakers realize that in the absence of self-sustaining family units, government can step in and fill the void. And a government large enough to fill that void can eventually take the place of the family altogether. Cultural commentator Heather Mac Donald recently wrote, "The single mother has become the cornerstone of Democratic politics." Julia is the perfect example.

In response, conservatives must defend their own cornerstones -- individual liberty, virtue and earned success. Conservatives must make the case that earned success is preferable to government dependency, and that Julia is more likely to achieve success and fulfillment in a good, stable family. As families grow stronger, schools, churches and communities improve, and Julia's chances for success improve, both for herself and her son. But as government grows larger and more intrusive, Julia's personal liberty and opportunities may shrink.

Whatever pleasure Republicans may get from jokes or parodies of Julia, the fact is that many women will choose her life, some out of necessity or believing it's necessary. "The Life of Julia" should make it obvious that this election is about more than offering Julia a better job and more benefits. Conservatives must be able to provide Julia an alternative vision for a better future. Without it, Julia might have nowhere else to turn but to the government, and that is nothing to laugh about.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/09/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

This article NAILS the lib mindset.

The GOP would be wise to follow suit, however.

Would it matter? Hard to say. With folks in Europe voting out austerity and expecting magic fixes, which Obama will gladly promise (I've heard that the Big O called the new French president and advised him to not increase taxes but to increase spending - clueless isn't quite the word), if people believe him that it's all too easy to let the government take care of you...

That's where this world seems to be heading. Even here.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    This article NAILS the lib mindset.

The GOP would be wise to follow suit, however.

Would it matter? Hard to say. With folks in Europe voting out austerity and expecting magic fixes, which Obama will gladly promise (I've heard that the Big O called the new French president and advised him to not increase taxes but to increase spending - clueless isn't quite the word), if people believe him that it's all too easy to let the government take care of you...

That's where this world seems to be heading. Even here.
    Oops. My bad. (I think I'm the one you heard it from.) When I said Obama told Hollande not to "raise taxes and increase spending," he meant that Hollande should not follow through with his planned anti-austerity measures of raising taxes and increasing spending.

In other words, he was telling Hollande not to do what he did.

Excellent article by Bennett.

The US has been sentenced to death by babysitting.

Honey, will you pay the babysitter, please?

Sure, how much is it?

16 trillion dollars...
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that as I couldn't quite recall where I'd heard it.

When the gov't has to write a comic book to show how things should be in their minds, we're in a bad way. How in the world did we survive for 200+ years without Obama's utopian plan? It truly is amazing. My 7 yr. old said that sounds like she can't do anything w\o gov't. She heard the propaganda bite. And she's right.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

That is a well written article.

I think the most important part was the last paragraph

"Whatever pleasure Republicans may get from jokes or parodies of Julia, the fact is that many women will choose her life, some out of necessity or believing it's necessary. "The Life of Julia" should make it obvious that this election is about more than offering Julia a better job and more benefits. Conservatives must be able to provide Julia an alternative vision for a better future. Without it, Julia might have nowhere else to turn but to the government, and that is nothing to laugh about."

Regardless of your political leaning, the right does seem to be lacking an alternative that will entice the populous to vote for them, apart from the good old days and the blame game.

Is the issue for the right, that historical expansionism (reduction in imported wealth) has slowed over recent times, and the the chance of achieving the american dream is limited to a much small percentage of the population, than in previous times.
    And many have accepted that the dream is unlikely to happen, and therefore want to ensure that their families are cared for.

I get the feeling the original article is blaming Julia that she has not picked a religious and hard working sire of her offspring. All those honorable men left waiting at the altar while she decides to go on with life on her own (with a little help from big brother, and possibly a battery powered utensil). Mind you, with the advent of gay marriage, not like there are many good men to chose from.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    I get the feeling the original article is blaming Julia that she has not picked a religious and hard working sire of her offspring. All those honorable men left waiting at the altar while she decides to go on with life on her own (with a little help from big brother, and possibly a battery powered utensil). Mind you, with the advent of gay marriage, not like there are many good men to chose from.
    That's been the plan for at least the last 45-50 yrs. The more Julias they can create, the more dependant tools they have as voters. The rest of us just are left to try and not bend over too far.........
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    That's been the plan for at least the last 45-50 yrs. The more Julias they can create, the more dependant tools they have as voters. The rest of us just are left to try and not bend over too far.........
    I think more of your problem is the men that don't want to act like men and behave responsibly.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    I think more of your problem is the men that don't want to act like men and behave responsibly.
    And then we go from idealogical liberal thinking and come back down from the clouds to the ever constant real truth of a society created by 40 to 50 years of repreations (welfare) of the "Great Society". Three to four generations of baby mommas will be the end result. No father,no guidance,no one telling these thugs the difference between right or wrong. That is not the responsibility of schools,which in urban areas,the children are in charge.

Both mothers are sorry the 6 year old was shot.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012051...hooting-victim

Every day,day in and day out stories like this are in the news.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    And then we go from idealogical liberal thinking and come back down from the clouds to the ever constant real truth of a society created by 40 to 50 years of repreations (welfare) of the "Great Society". Three to four generations of baby mommas will be the end result. No father,no guidance,no one telling these thugs the difference between right or wrong. That is not the responsibility of schools,which in urban areas,the children are in charge.

Both mothers are sorry the 6 year old was shot.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012051...hooting-victim

Every day,day in and day out stories like this are in the news.
    Yeah but you think that we have family problems because of a government that stepped in when there was a need rather than realize the problem was there before government got involved. Why are the men out of the picture?

I might be way off base to some, but I think many of America's problems today stem from a breakdown of our moral values. Many people today view going out and working a labor type of job as demeaning or "uncool" and would rather sit at home and get welfare and in turn pass that along to their children which leads to 4th or 5th generation welfare recipients, also the breakdown of the family unit traces back to the loss of morals too. A man gets a girl pregnant and takes off, that does 2 things to our society it set in motion a possible welfare dependency and/or it gives the impression that you don't have to take responsibility for your decisions and actions.

the funny/sad part is that Obama is the president throughout julia's life
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?