make up air requirements

I have a small electric pizza oven (double stack) that requires exhaust.
    What is the max CFM that we can exhaust before a MUA is required?
    location is Manitoba Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ryan79 View Post
    Provided you have enough make up air supplied through other means like the HVAC system or gravity vent there is no requirement. The issue in your location is tempering the air so that there is no discomfort from employees.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan79 View Post

I don't think there is a max cfm that tells you when you need a MUA. Any air you exhaust will need to be made up. small exhaust may not cause issues but a large one will. In a restaurant you don't want to have a negative pressure in your place. find out what size you need, the local bldg code should have that and can tell you what is required.

I'm not sure what the mechanical code is up there, however, the IMC 2006 requires 400 cfm per linear foot of hood for an island hood, or 200 cfm per linear foot for a wall mounted canopy hood. These exhaust values can be lowered significantly if the hood manufacturer is able to provide calculations showing their hood performance with your piece of equipment. Having that calculation will minimize the amount of makeup air required in the kitchen. If the amount of outside air provided to to the restaurant is equal or greater to the exhaust air required then you are in good shape. If not, you will need to provide makeup air by gravity or mechanical means. The temperature of the makeup air can not be greater or less than 10 degrees compared to the kitchen temperature. I'm not sure how hot it gets up there; you might be ok with only heating the makeup air.