Just in time for summer.A new group a guys set out with there with in to the population to do repairs without ever repairing anything before.You know the type.10 to 15 years of installs.Know it alls.Always mad at the service department.How lazy we are.Playing in the water all day.It's now 109 DEGs in central California and old coworkers/new contractors are calling me needing help on new installs gone bad or past repairs here to haunt.I asked one guy how's your superheat/subcolling?He said "subheat and super cooling look great".Huh.Are you kiddin me?Guess I will go out there tomorrow and have a look see.Never know what you'll find is what I love about these guys.Don't get me wrong a contractors lisense is a great thing.A lot of work goes into getting one but it can be a lisense to kill as well.Take a look a this picture.A Rheem/Ruud RTU.Whats wrong with this picture?Clue.This unit only has one limit.

The melted universal module is enough of a hint... Looks like cracks between the heat exchanger cells on the faceplate, Rheem use to offer a heat shield kit that was installed to cover those cracks, BUT, if there are cracks there and the module has melted, I'd say that furnace is DONE... Didn't those furnaces have an in-line thermal fuse that acted as a roll-out, kinda where the black electrical tape is now???

Originally posted by cde72
    The melted universal module is enough of a hint... Looks like cracks between the heat exchanger cells on the faceplate, Rheem use to offer a heat shield kit that was installed to cover those cracks, BUT, if there are cracks there and the module has melted, I'd say that furnace is DONE... Didn't those furnaces have an in-line thermal fuse that acted as a roll-out, kinda where the black electrical tape is now???
    Close but what happened was a plumber/a-c contractor made this repair.He replaced the rotary fan/limit switch with a non limit, time on, temp off, fan switch.The neighbor seen flames comming out of the unit.The blower motor burnt out but the unit having no limit protection kept on cooking.The hero next door shut the gas cock off at the unit.Yes you are also right about the flame shield.It had one in place but this older model did'nt come with a roll out switch.NO LIMIT PROTECTION WHAT SO EVER.

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

york made gas pac like that, too

Originally posted by thoglow
    Originally posted by cde72
    Close but what happened was a plumber/a-c contractor made this repair.He replaced the rotary fan/limit switch with a non limit, time on, temp off, fan switch.The neighbor seen flames comming out of the unit.The blower motor burnt out but the unit having no limit protection kept on cooking.The hero next door shut the gas cock off at the unit.Yes you are also right about the flame shield.It had one in place but this older model did'nt come with a roll out switch.NO LIMIT PROTECTION WHAT SO EVER.
    but on the york, the blower was controlled by a fan belt to a blowerwheel, these units all had caught on fire before, and melted everything, , I took pictures, and noticed that, the limit was like a coleman style klixon surface mounted fixed limit, it was about 4-5 inches from a heat exchanger tube on these 4 tonners or so, and in the combustion chamer tube box, the limit would make a loopty loop and would reconnect itself from the heat welding it back out of porportion , and would refire the gas valve,
    i found that the manufacturer sent two too install isnstead of one and the design was that theyre shielded and beefier looking and on went close to the other one, to correct the poor engineering or oversight.
    just when u think u cant make mistakes, and get over confidence, guess what?
    the foot goes in the mouth,,,
    im glad i didnt install these , but the poor engineering attorneys would naturally win, if it came down to it, most the time, however im sure theres a trail of these same units
    that had the same problems elsewhere and that pattern , might be able to get a small timer out of a fix, if it came down to it!
    i was the tech, that came out to align the pulleys, and change the belts, and replace the wiring,,
    they hired the tech back that had almost burnt down their buildings , and gave him back this account, lol
    it takes all kinds!