magic chef heat pump

I have a condo that has an in the wall magic chef heat pump. When i turned on the ac this year, the whole coil froze up like a block of ice. Someone said it may be the defrost coil. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by servicetech1949 View Post
    I have a condo that has an in the wall magic chef heat pump. When i turned on the ac this year, the whole coil froze up like a block of ice. Someone said it may be the defrost coil. find someone else or ask them just what is a defrost coil
    which coil?

frozen coils have 2 broad reasons, air flow or refrigerant, problems with either will freeze the coil
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I think it only has one coil, it is the one behind the filter. It is a single stage system? I have only ran it twice this year, and each time after it running for awhile, it would be froze up like it does in the winter when its really cold out, but obviously the defrost relay was working because it would eventually thaw out. Thanks for your help

If the filter and coil are clean it's probably short on refrigerant. You need to call a pro.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Thank you, now i know where to start.