Trane Voyager 20 Ton, (2) 10 Ton Scroll's, 400 PSI head, cleaned cond. coils and started system back up. 1st stage comp runs 65/245 (Dry Coil) second stage starts and runs 58 Suction and the head hunts from 240 to 330 and back all with in about 3 Min. Sub cooling is 16 to 20 Deg. suction does not follow the head pressure. Non condensable’s?

Sounds like noncondensables to me. Recover and weigh it back in, will probably fix it.

I agree with bmac. I would also change the drier. Did you split the coils to wash them?

I agree with bmac. I would also change the drier. Did you split the coils to wash them?

Single coil on this one. According to the customer (New customer for me) No one has added refrigerant or touched the system. I believe it is non condensables but I have never seen the head hunt and the suction stay steady.

Is it a ycd 240 or a precedent?

Depends how hot it is out there and what kind of heat load its pulling out. On our stores 270-300 HPSIG is normal on a 140 degree roof, it all depeneds. But most likes you got air in that condenser.

Originally posted by acfixit
    Did you split the coils to wash them?

Single coil on this one. According to the customer (New customer for me) No

this may look like a single coil but it probably isn't pull the top and look down at it, or open the end that doesn't have the cappilaries you should be able to pull apart the coils at this point. and Hunting means non condensables.

Problem Solved

Reclaimed the refrigerent, repleced the drier and evacuated and weighed in the charge.....67/255 no more hunting on the high side. Had to of been non condensables.