Thread: Repair or Replace

Post Likes

Repair or Replace

My heat pump is 5 year old Goodman 2 ton . Unit froze. Called very highly regarded local company. The evaporator coil has a leak, found via electronic "sniffer". Tons of rust around the copper in the evaporator. he said way too rusted for a 5 year old unit! Don't know if this is a quality control issue or a fluke.

Anyway: 2 choices pay for the 2 pounds of R-22($$$), service call and new evaporator total about $ or get a new unit. I asked why a new unit he says if he fixes this issue and another one arises Im out possibly another $ and R-22 (Freon??) will be getting very hard to find.

So choice is new Carrier 2 ton 13 seer for $ or $1 fix and keep fingers crossed. I'm leaning to the new unit (10 year parts/1 year labor)

Any thoughts on this?

Also I have seen it mentioned that the install is very important for proper life and function. The original was installed by a local "guy" in a small shop with a bit of attitude. I say this because my breaker to the heat strip kept tripping in the winter. He looks and says the 10 KW strip calls for a 60 amp breaker and I had a thirty. $ to run new wire and breaker. He did the install and would not own up to the wrong breaker!! So I'm not using him again. Could a poor install have caused this curent problem due to some wrong grounding or something that caused electrolysis?

Just wondering cause I cannot see a leak in just 5 years but the sniffer was beeping like crazy smack in the middle of the evaporator coil.

BTW: The new AC guy tells me a 10 KW heat strip is way too much for a 2 ton unit in Florida and recommends a 5 KW and go back to 30 amp breaker? Your thoughts on this?

I have no problem paying for quality work and respect all tradespeople. I just don't like being screwed!!

Post Likes

Sir,

please remove prices from your post. Prices are against the rules. Thank you.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes

Sory

GregP

Prices deleted. You folks can figure it all out. My bad

J

Post Likes
    10 KW sounds way oversized for FLA.

Is the house the same age as the unit?
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Only you, armed with good intelligence, can decide if replacement is the best option. What I can help with is a little information. The national average life for an AC or heat pump (HP) is about 15-years. As units age, the problems come more frequently.

When you purchase a new system, you get a new warranty. Quality companies will also provide some sort of free tune-up at about the anniversary of the new system.

Replacement always initially costs more than the repair. But the single repair may not be the end of repairs, or could be the end for another 5-years. You need to use your own intuition and gambling emotions to decide whether that's a good deal or not!

If you're going to replace, make sure the company with whom you sign an agreement has done a proper ACCA Manual 'J' load calculation, checked the duct system as appropriately sized for the job and selects the equipment using Manual 'S'. Any less is a company that's cutting corners and cannot be trusted to do a proper installation, including evacuation and proper charging of the system.

There are many options in the purchase of equipment. Do your homework. Educate yourself as to what some of the terms mean, such as SEER, EER and/or HSPF if it's a HP. You may want to consider dual fuel systems or multi-stage or variable speed outdoor and indoor units. This isn't like buying a car. It's like having one built. If the right company isn't selected and the right options aren't chosen, you could end up with another 15-years of buyers remorse. Consider how long you'll be in your home. Know the cost of electricity and/or heating fuel in your location. These are all questions with which the homeowner should arm him/herself to discuss with the company representative with whom you're negotiating.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in