Amana AMV95 -- opinions?

I've asked three HVAC companies to provide recommendations/bids on replacing a 27-year-old Rheem ac unit, which is facing some expensive parts replacements. One of the contractors has come back with an offer to replace our 12-year-old 80% Amana furnace as well with a "new" Amana AMV95. This will not only give us a more efficient furnace, it allows us to place the entire system in a more central location and provide much-improved air flow to two upstairs rooms on the southwest corner of the house which are currently very underserved.

My question involves the furnace selection. He says he got a special deal on several of these AMV95's, which is why he's able to give us what he says is a good price on the unit & installation. (By the way, I really like this guy. He has worked hard to come up with solutions for a somewhat tricky situation.)

Does the AMV95 have a good track record? Is it old technology? The only references I can find to it are from 2010 and before.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

I personally think it is a good unit. I have the sister furnace to it (gmv95) in my home. My guess is that they were running a promotion that distributors do at times and they discount the units for volume purchases. Some people like fords, some Chevy, but in the end the installation will trump all.

Hope he is using the right size for your house, and not just what ever he has in stock.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I believe he said 115,000 (or was it 150,000?) BTU for 3,200 sq ft. Matched with Amana's 5-ton 14-SEER ac. I'll certainly double-check sizing. He really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would put in the wrong size.

In the meantime, any perspective on the AMV95?

Its a nice 2 stage unit. Good warranty, seems relatively reliable.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its a nice 2 stage unit. Good warranty, seems relatively reliable.
    agreed with BT on both accounts.

Most likely, the reason the AMV is "discounted", is because they don't really make them anymore.

The new unit is the AMVC, which has communicating features. Purchasing the AMV prevents you from using the communicating features in the future.

Basically, tell us what kind of person you are:

A. I want the new high tech stuff, high efficiency, lcd display thermostat, all kinds of extra options, and I'm willing to pay for it.

B. I want a high efficiency furnace, but I'm not into all the crazy new gizmos. I just want something efficient, will keep me comfortable, and works. If it's got extra stuff, cool, but I don't want to pay extra for it.

I happen to be B. What about you?

A is the AMVC.

B is the AMV.

Which is essentially the way I see the differences.

The amv is a good furnace. We sell alot, low warranty issues. Get the 10 year labor warranty, the cost of 1 repair could be the same/greater than the cost of the warranty.

Contractor needs to check duct sizing. It's a variable speed motor. variable speed + undersized ductwork = loud unit.

I'd also want to see a load calculation, to show it's the right size.

Your contractor might be hesitant to do one, because he may be afraid he does alot of work, and you run to someone else.
    Talk with him about it. If your sure you want to go with him, tell him, but tell him you also want him to run the load calcs before he begins, just to make sure.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Thanks so much, everyone! HVACVEGAS, sometimes I'm an A, but in this instance I'm most definitely a B. Even more so because I'm not yet certain I'll be replacing my 80% Amana. My wife really doesn't want to replace it. And even the owner/estimator from the service company is tossed up as to whether he would replace it if it were his. Obviously, he's an Amana guy and says the furnace is in good shape and should last at least another 8-10 years. But if we stay in the house that long, I'm suspecting we'd see the investment in a more efficient unit pay off. (Is that a realistic expectation?) And hopefully we'd be more comfortable in the meantime and have a more valuable home to sell in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoHomeowner View Post
    Thanks so much, everyone! HVACVEGAS, sometimes I'm an A, but in this instance I'm most definitely a B. Even more so because I'm not yet certain I'll be replacing my 80% Amana. My wife really doesn't want to replace it. And even the owner/estimator from the service company is tossed up as to whether he would replace it if it were his. Obviously, he's an Amana guy and says the furnace is in good shape and should last at least another 8-10 years. But if we stay in the house that long, I'm suspecting we'd see the investment in a more efficient unit pay off. (Is that a realistic expectation?) And hopefully we'd be more comfortable in the meantime and have a more valuable home to sell in the end.
    I don't know about colorado, but I would venture a guess to say it will pay off. Someone from your area would be able to give you a better estimate.

Aleast your contractor is honest about replacing it or not, even though it could eat into his money. That should tell you something about him.

As far as home valuation, I've noticed (I've been home shopping) that furnace efficiency doesn't matter that much in the value of a home, provided it works, and isn't insanely old. Unless you've got Geothermal.

Since your a B type of guy, go with the AMV. As beenthere said, make sure he's not giving you a incorrect size, to make the discount. If all he has is an incorrect size in the cheaper equitment, then don't do the deal.

Honestly, most of our A types, forget about all the fancy stuff in about 3 months.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

I believe he said 115,000 (or was it 150,000?) BTU for 3,200 sq ft. Matched with Amana's 5-ton 14-SEER ac. I'll certainly double-check sizing. He really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would put in the wrong size.
    hmmm....

I guess that means he did a detailed Manual J (Heat load calculation) but that seems strange because you are still talking about square footage as a measurement criteria. A HVAC system should NEVER be sized by square footage. The floorplan of the home doesn't correlate with the thermal envelope.

Additionally, even if the summer cooling load is fitting for 5 tons, did he go over how he plans to deliver the proper volume of air across the coil? It's very difficult to at higher altitudes like we have in colorado (3,316 ft to 10,000+, mean-6,800 ft)

I commented to a customer the other day that 5 ton AC's should rarely be installed in colorado due to our air issues- this is a prime example. I hope he tested your ducts for airflow before and after the install for your sake.

Why am I the only knucklehead around here that talks about airflow and altitude on a regular basis?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

The contractor did do a Manual J and ended up specing a ... 4-ton. We did go with the Amana, btw. So far it's been great.

The contractor did do a Manual J and ended up specing a ... 4-ton. We did go with the Amana, btw. So far it's been great.
    Beautiful. Glad to hear it!

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted