Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused Scotsman CME506as Bin Full elect. eye. question

Went to check out a friends ice maker ( CME506as) and right off I notice the bin full light is on yet the bin is only half full. Have reset, unplugged, tried to disconnect the send and receive plugs from the controller, etc. Any way to bypass these 'electronic eyes' till the new set comes in? He can fill the bin and then shut off the water to keep from jamming it too full if so.

I also notice that the compressor never seemed to come on to keep what ice was in there frozen. Not sure if this is a timed event or a sensor somewhere.

Once reset it would run for a minute and then shut completely off. Is it possible that if the bin is seen as full it doesn't refrigerate?

elect water valve sticks flowing water too sometimes but that is the easy part.. I don't work on these so I just don't know what makes them tick so to speak or how to con it into working for now.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

The eyes need to be cleaned with vinegar and then they will work fine 90% of the time.

The compressor does not chill the bin. It just makes ice and the melting ice keeps itself cold. If the compressor chilled the bin the ice would freeze into a giant block

Did you try to clean the eyes ?
    Thanks craig1 you beat me to it :-)
    Also the compressor will shut down momentarily on start-up.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    The eyes need to be cleaned with vinegar and then they will work fine 90% of the time.
    That has been my experience as well.

Calcium can build up on the eyes and give the controller the "bin full" signal.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Thanks all.

I wasn't sure if the compartment was supposed to be chilled or not. The thing becoming a block of ice makes a lot of sense now that you mention it.

I didn't find out the sensors were electronic eyes and not some micro switch until I got back and with the details and pulled up a parts list. I did notice a calcium build up on the paddles.

Thanks again for the quick response. I'll get out there and clean them up and see how it goes before I have to start my daily resi grind. lol
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Havnt had to replace any eyes but have had to clean tons. Over and over and over. Stupid design IMO

I think - Great Design

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Havnt had to replace any eyes but have had to clean tons. Over and over and over. Stupid design IMO
    Job security.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Got there this morning and brushed them down with a soft tooth brush and vinegar and it works like new again.
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Maybe level sensor damaged

Update on this cranky thing.. Works fine for a week or few and then decides to quit. Got there and the refrigeration trouble light is on but the water fill valve was running wide open. Tap the valve with a screw driver and it closes. Reset the controller and sat and drank coffee while it made 3 batches of ice with no faults. Three days later is still working fine.

Shouldn't the water trouble light be on if it was shut down for excess water passing through the valve? For a refrigeration light on steady no blinks it says check discharge pressure or for max freeze time or something. What is this discharge pressure it is saying to check? Anyone have a manual for this unit they wouldn't mind pointing me toward?

This unit belongs to a friend and I am only working on it for the experience, free coffee, and to help him out. lol
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

This unit has a normally closed water solenoid valve. If you tapped it and it closed then there was either trash in the valve or it is sticking open. There is a rebuild kit for this valve , but it is my experience that changing the valve is the best course of action. I think the water light reacts to low water and if there is too much water the refrigeration fault shows because of long freeze times.

Thanks for clearing that up. The valve does stick and I will pick up a whole valve this week for him. I just couldn't tie the refrigeration light to a water valve issue. Glad to learn something yet again with this!

Thanks again guy's
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

I have had to replace the eyes twice on this one machine with really really hard scaly water . it had the tiniest crack and would work great after I cleaned it until build up got into the crack again. I would look for small crack in the eyes and learn how to disassemble the thing and make sure it is clean . Clean eyes or not . it aint gonna make crap if its dirty. If it has the electronic control box ,there is not a way to bypass them. They see the ice as it is harvesting and use this to help determine harvest time.
    Gas and go does not apply to refrigeration

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast