+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with a leak in walk in freezer

Post Likes
    I would repair the leak. As previously stated, I doubt it will take long enough to lose product. Even if it does, product was going to be lost when it went down again anyway. Just don't eat anything from that freezer.

Post Likes
    I had a walk in freezer go down at 9 pm once, the customer did not want to pay overtime to repair it. I returned at 7 am the next morning and it had warmed to 9*F. By the time the repair and proper evacuation were done, the box was at 21*F. Over 12 hours down, with the door closed, no lost product.

Post Likes
    So how long did it take you to repair the leak?

Post Likes
    Customer has approved repair for wednesday. Said its still at 0*f.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Peztoy View Post
    Customer has approved repair for wednesday. Said its still at 0*f.
    It's a small leak or it's got one big receiver

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    You don't need to open the system so you don't need the vacuum pump at all?

If the system has valves and ports in the right locations....
    use a recovery machine to pump the condenser into the receiver, stop at about 2 psi. Braze the leak. Open the valves. Top up the system. Hand them a bill.

No vacuum pump needed, and down time of less than an hour.

I've fixed leaky condensers a few times like this, and evaps dozens of times (those are really easy since you can use the compressor to pump down.
    Really?

I don't know that I would agree with this - but obviously it has worked for you in the past.
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    You don't need to open the system so you don't need the vacuum pump at all?

If the system has valves and ports in the right locations....
    use a recovery machine to pump the condenser into the receiver, stop at about 2 psi. Braze the leak. Open the valves. Top up the system. Hand them a bill.

No vacuum pump needed, and down time of less than an hour.

I've fixed leaky condensers a few times like this, and evaps dozens of times (those are really easy since you can use the compressor to pump down.
    No vacuum pump ? I've heard of people pushing the air out of the other valve when they release the gas , and close the valve when you think all air is gone ... is this what you do ??

Quite risky i think personally ....

Post Likes
    Hes talking about isolating the charge and keeping minumum pressure on the side with the leak. Its a good way to change out bad switches or fix valve cores or do minor brazing repairs.

Post Likes
    Am I understanding this correctly? Doing brazing repairs with refrigerant in the system?

Post Likes
    Here's the problem I have encounter with any positive pressure in the system. It's trying to get out of your weld through a small pin hole Do you know what I'm talking about ? Now if you could continue to vent through another port that might work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Now if you could continue to vent through another port that might work.
    thats what I usually do. The total amount of refrigerant released is less than you would release pulling a vacuum on the system.

For example on an evaporator repair:

Close the liquid valve

push in the contactor to pump the system down to 2 PSI

crack open your low side gauge valve to let the residual pressure vent.

braze up the leak, close your gauge valves, set your service valves back to the normal position, start up the system.

Although this is probably not considered "deminimus release" I feel that it falls within the spirit of the law to minimize refrigerant release. On a big system, pulling a vacuum on the whole thing releases alot more refrigerant than venting 2 PSI from a 1/4 hose for 10 minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    No vacuum pump ? I've heard of people pushing the air out of the other valve when they release the gas , and close the valve when you think all air is gone ... is this what you do ??
    no, because the idea is to never let the air in in the first place. the system is under a slightly positive pressure at all times. pinhole leaks don't leak under the slight pressure, so its no different than brazing on an empty system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1
    Although this is probably not considered "deminimus release" I feel that it falls within the spirit of the law to minimize refrigerant release. On a big system, pulling a vacuum on the whole thing releases alot more refrigerant than venting 2 PSI from a 1/4 hose for 10 minutes.
    I don't think the government cares about the spirit of the law. Intentionally venting is intentionally venting. I also disagree with your supposition that if the system was recovered to the EPA regulations that you would vent more refrigerant to the atmosphere when evacuating.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is the effect of brazing kind of heat does to the chemical composition of the refrigerant. This just my opinion...brazing on a system with refrigerant in it doesn't conform to any standard of best practices.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    One thing I haven't heard mentioned is the effect of brazing kind of heat does to the chemical composition of the refrigerant. This just my opinion...brazing on a system with refrigerant in it doesn't conform to any standard of best practices.
    the heat of brazing breaks the refrigerant down into acid similar to a burnout. Its such a small amount though I personally don't worry about it if the system has properly sized, good condition filters

Post Likes
    thats what I usually do. The total amount of refrigerant released is less than you would release pulling a vacuum on the system.

no, because the idea is to never let the air in in the first place. the system is under a slightly positive pressure at all times. pinhole leaks don't leak under the slight pressure, so its no different than brazing on an empty system.
    the heat of brazing breaks the refrigerant down into acid similar to a burnout. Its such a small amount though I personally don't worry about it if the system has properly sized, good condition filters
    Kinda seems like a lot of suppositions dressed up to resemble facts here.

Given the choice between hoping I don't get caught for venting refrigerant, hoping I can braze under a positive pressure, hoping the pressure doesn't run out and non condensables are introduced to the system, and hoping the acid created in the system by overheating refrigerant is small enough that the system filter/driers can handle it.....I'll recover the gas and hook up a vacuum pump when the leak is fixed - every time.
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes

For example on an evaporator repair:

Close the liquid valve

push in the contactor to pump the system down to 2 PSI

crack open your low side gauge valve to let the residual pressure vent.

braze up the leak, close your gauge valves, set your service valves back to the normal position, start up the system.

totally agree .. minimum refrigerant released ... if you are worried about running out. quit pumping with at a bit higher pressure.

just changed out a hi/lo pressure switch on a semi-hermetic compressor using this tactic. get everything ready for the switch, then crack system open. plug release port with finger, then quickly switch out fittings.

very little refrigerant lost with zero contamination getting into system because positive pressure was never lost. much less refrigerant lost vs pumping down system.

an empty 30lb tank of R-22 vapor... contains about 12oz of recoverable refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Got eh done. Ball valves were at the roof mounted condensing unit. Suction & liquid line, thank you to whoever did the install. Had everything on the roof ready to go. Reclaimed the refrigerant. Used a drill bit I have to cut the tube sheet, it cuts on its side. Makes a clean cut out. Brazed some silfos in the hole. New drier. Nitrogen to pressurize and make sure it holds. Vacuum pump. Used reclaim to get refrigerant back in quickly. 3 hours.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Ball valves not service valves ?

Post Likes
    1/4 turn ball valves.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=cy;13238761]just changed out a hi/lo pressure switch on a semi-hermetic compressor using this tactic. get everything ready for the switch, then crack system open. plug release port with finger, then quickly switch out fittings.

very little refrigerant lost with zero contamination getting into system because positive pressure was never lost. much less refrigerant lost vs pumping down system.
    QUOTE]

CY - Why would you pump down the system? Why not just isolate the compressor instead of hoping you can change the control out fast enough. If it's a semi-hermetic it has isolation valves....just wondering.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in