Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 44

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    474

    How do you deal with a leak in walk in freezer

    How do you you guys deal with a refrigerant leak in walk in freezer. 10 ft x 20 ft freezer is loaded with product. It's his only freezer. Leak is on the rooftop condenser return bend. How long do guess I've got to bring it back online before the stuff gets questionable?
    ENJOY THE RIDE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,308
    Keep the door closed and pump it down. Isolating the damaged part of the system will really cut down evacuation time and you'll be able to get it back online sooner. I usually say it's going to be offline for 4 hours. It's always better to tell the customer it's back up sooner than expected rather than tell them it's gonna be down longer than expected.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,586
    Might be hard to isolate being the condenser that needs repaired. I don't think he is going to get it all in the receiver. Even if he could how would he isolate it from the condenser without a service valve in between the two ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Might be hard to isolate being the condenser that needs repaired. I don't think he is going to get it all in the receiver. Even if he could how would he isolate it from the condenser without a service valve in between the two ?
    Yeah, i just read it again..condenser return bend...then the 4 hour prediction would be right.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    474
    Customer wanted a quote. Now I wait.......less then a week.
    It's blowing good bubbles.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    931
    Take all the time you need. All that frozen food would take a loooooooooooong time to thaw out, probably a few days.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,862
    You can get that done quick.


    Let them know to keep the door closed, isolate it, pull the charge, braze it up, quick vacuum and let 'et rip.

    I like to have everything laid out, hooked up, ready to roll before I start. Manifolds and recovery machine hooked up, vacuum pump hoses ready, everything ready to roll

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NE Alabama
    Posts
    301

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You can get that done quick.


    Let them know to keep the door closed, isolate it, pull the charge, braze it up, quick vacuum and let 'et rip.

    I like to have everything laid out, hooked up, ready to roll before I start. Manifolds and recovery machine hooked up, vacuum pump hoses ready, everything ready to roll
    I use a box, tub, or bag filled with ice and surround the the recovery jug with ice to take away the heat of the recovery process. Seems to nearly double the speed of refrigerant recovery.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,071
    I would think dropping the temp say 5-10*F an hour or two before the repair would help out too?

    I am not much of a refer tech but it makes sense.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,586
    Peztoy,
    Can you get to the leak ? Or are there non removable covers ?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Pas, Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    I would think dropping the temp say 5-10*F an hour or two before the repair would help out too?

    I am not much of a refer tech but it makes sense.
    Can it pull down when it's low on gas? Adding gas to freeze product might take a lot of time and gas. Customer is understanding type?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Neil View Post
    Can it pull down when it's low on gas? Adding gas to freeze product might take a lot of time and gas. Customer is understanding type?
    Yes it can pull down with less gas.

    The gas was already added to get them through until the repair could be made, no customer is going to lose a freezer full of product over a few pounds of gas.

    My question is, is there a reason why you would NOT drop the box temp as low as possible before shutting the system down for repair? I would think the lower temps would allow for more repair time or some fudge factor incase things go south with the repair?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,754
    We all know they didn't place the service call until the food was already soft anyway.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event