Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OIL SEPARATORS

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Well I just had to go and check it out. Here's what I found. Shell is 11" tall and 4" in diameter. Top is 3/8" solid copper with ten bolts to hold it down. Two 7/8" stubs one marked in one marked out. The 1/4" sae fitting marked oil. Removed top to find two mesh screens hang like lantern mantels. The 1/4" sae had a dip tube going to a 3" round ball float. Thanks for taking a shot at the title. Also was marked (Rightemp) the manufacturer I'm guessing.
    Sounds like a Temprite 505:
    http://www.temprite.com/product.asp?...roduct=501_505

Thats an oil seperator. Sorry for missguiding you. I have never heard of an a/c having an oil seperator.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_n_go View Post
    I have never heard of an a/c having an oil seperator.
    I've never heard of an A/C having a de-superheating vessel

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    BINGO !
    icemeister where do you find this stuff ? It is a Temprite but I didn't see a model number. Do I need this on the system ? Can oil get trapped in the discharge line with no way out ? The one I opened up was loaded with sludge on the screen and the oil at the bottom looked like Texas tea.

Thanks,
    VTP

Quote Originally Posted by gas_n_go View Post
    Thats an oil seperator. Sorry for missguiding you. I have never heard of an a/c having an oil seperator.
    No problem gas_n_go I pulled it out and didn't no, so you had to really be guessing. I have never come across one as well. When they added the remote air condenser they must have been concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    BINGO !
    icemeister where do you find this stuff ? It is a Temprite but I didn't see a model number. Do I need this on the system ? Can oil get trapped in the discharge line with no way out ? The one I opened up was loaded with sludge on the screen and the oil at the bottom looked like Texas tea.

Thanks,
    VTP
    Looking at it again, I see the model must be a 503 because of the 7/8" connections, not a 505.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Looking at it again, I see the model must be a 503 because of the 7/8" connections, not a 505.

Yep
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12