+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OIL SEPARATORS

Post Likes

OIL SEPARATORS

there on a 10 ton split system for A/C. Originally it was a water cooled air handler. Someone added a air condenser on the roof. Two 5 ton Copeland CRN-5's on separate circuits. Hot gas goes into separators then up to roof. The one dead compressors separator looks like a major leakier. I would like to cut it out and bypass it. Yes, No, or Maybe ?

Post Likes
    maybe!!
    it all depends on the piping, if the liquid and suction lines were sized to maintain refrigerant velocities during low loads then the separator is not needed.
    is that a on-off system, no staging,unloading etc? where is the evaporator with relation to compressor?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    maybe!!
    it all depends on the piping, if the liquid and suction lines were sized to maintain refrigerant velocities during low loads then the separator is not needed.
    is that a on-off system, no staging,unloading etc? where is the evaporator with relation to compressor?
    valdelocc,
    The only lines going up to the roof are the discharge lines from each compressor and then two liquid lines coming back from the air condenser on roof. The compressors are at the bottom of the air handler ( old Trane commercial ) with the evaporator just above. Very short suction lines about 3 feet. Two stage t-stat runs compressors.

Post Likes
    cant see why not

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    cant see why not
    I would like to know why they put them in to begin with. Were they from the original water cooled setup or added when they switched to air.

Post Likes
    Are you sure its an oil seperator? Just a hunch but it might be a desuperheater that you are looking at

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gas_n_go View Post
    Are you sure its an oil seperator? Just a hunch but it might be a desuperheater that you are looking at
    No I'm not. It has hot gas from the compressor going in then hot gas going out and a 1/4 line going back to the suction tube @ the compressor. All three lines come into the top. The flat top is bolted to the shell. I believe there is a core filter inside. Would a desuperheater look the same ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    No I'm not. It has hot gas from the compressor going in then hot gas going out and a 1/4 line going back to the suction tube @ the compressor. All three lines come into the top. The flat top is bolted to the shell. I believe there is a core filter inside. Would a desuperheater look the same ?
    What they might be doing is desuperheating the liquid to give you more usable btu's at the valve and then adding that absorbed heat back onto your suction line to boil off any liquid that night exist as a secondary percaution, which in essence is performing a very similiar function as if it was an accumilator.

I cant tell you 100% that is what you have or that you can get away without it but odds are you can do away with it without harming your equipment. What you will lose if efficenty and it will cost you more money to run and you will shorten the overall life of your compressor in the long term.

Post Likes
    What they might be doing is desuperheating the liquid to give you more usable btu's at the valve and then adding that absorbed heat back onto your suction line to boil off any liquid that night exist as a secondary percaution, which in essence is performing a very similiar function as if it was an accumilator.

I cant tell you 100% that is what you have or that you can get away without it but odds are you can do away with it without harming your equipment. What you will lose if efficenty and it will cost you more money to run and you will shorten the overall life of your compressor in the long term.
    How would it de-superheat the liquid if it is on the discharge line ? That same discharge line continues on up to the roof to a air condenser that then returns as subcooled liquid. What am I missing here ?

Post Likes
    How would it de-superheat the liquid if it is on the discharge line ? That same discharge line continues on up to the roof to a air condenser that then returns as subcooled liquid. What am I missing here ?
    If your discharge line temp enetering your desuperheater is 300 and where it exits that componet it reads 250 D. That would lower your SH by 50 degrees. You desuperheated your line by 50 degrees

Post Likes
    If your discharge line temp enetering your desuperheater is 300 and where it exits that componet it reads 250 D. That would lower your SH by 50 degrees. You desuperheated your line by 50 degrees
    Thanks gas_n_go,
    That makes sense to me. I already pulled the one contraption so I guess the only sensible thing to do now is open that sucker up. I'll let you no what I find.

Post Likes
    Thanks gas_n_go,
    That makes sense to me. I already pulled the one contraption so I guess the only sensible thing to do now is open that sucker up. I'll let you no what I find.
    no problem, glad I could help

Post Likes
    Well I just had to go and check it out. Here's what I found. Shell is 11" tall and 4" in diameter. Top is 3/8" solid copper with ten bolts to hold it down. Two 7/8" stubs one marked in one marked out. The 1/4" sae fitting marked oil. Removed top to find two mesh screens hang like lantern mantels. The 1/4" sae had a dip tube going to a 3" round ball float. Thanks for taking a shot at the title. Also was marked (Rightemp) the manufacturer I'm guessing.

Post Likes
    Well I just had to go and check it out. Here's what I found. Shell is 11" tall and 4" in diameter. Top is 3/8" solid copper with ten bolts to hold it down. Two 7/8" stubs one marked in one marked out. The 1/4" sae fitting marked oil. Removed top to find two mesh screens hang like lantern mantels. The 1/4" sae had a dip tube going to a 3" round ball float. Thanks for taking a shot at the title. Also was marked (Rightemp) the manufacturer I'm guessing.
    Sounds like a Temprite 505:
    http://www.temprite.com/product.asp?...roduct=501_505

Post Likes
    Thats an oil seperator. Sorry for missguiding you. I have never heard of an a/c having an oil seperator.

Post Likes
    I have never heard of an a/c having an oil seperator.
    I've never heard of an A/C having a de-superheating vessel

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    BINGO !
    icemeister where do you find this stuff ? It is a Temprite but I didn't see a model number. Do I need this on the system ? Can oil get trapped in the discharge line with no way out ? The one I opened up was loaded with sludge on the screen and the oil at the bottom looked like Texas tea.

Thanks,
    VTP

Post Likes
    Thats an oil seperator. Sorry for missguiding you. I have never heard of an a/c having an oil seperator.
    No problem gas_n_go I pulled it out and didn't no, so you had to really be guessing. I have never come across one as well. When they added the remote air condenser they must have been concerned.

Post Likes
    BINGO !
    icemeister where do you find this stuff ? It is a Temprite but I didn't see a model number. Do I need this on the system ? Can oil get trapped in the discharge line with no way out ? The one I opened up was loaded with sludge on the screen and the oil at the bottom looked like Texas tea.

Thanks,
    VTP
    Looking at it again, I see the model must be a 503 because of the 7/8" connections, not a 505.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Looking at it again, I see the model must be a 503 because of the 7/8" connections, not a 505.

Yep
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in