Freezer not developing frost line on last evaporator

I've got this old school freezer that has the refrigerant charge amount crossed out and written in by hand. There's a service port on high side right when the liquid line enters capillary tube which looks like it was added on past production.

It's an R-12 Kenmore "5" upright freezer .
    Inside, there are three evaporator shelves and liquid refrigerant enters from top, then goes down.

It cools, but the third evaporator coil (very bottom) is not building up any frost line at all. What does this mean?

I've never seen a household freezer with a service port. This one has a charge port, but it's only on the high side on liquid line right before it goes to capillary. Is this meant to be used for evacuating as well as charging by weight using injector style (like the oil injector type) refrigerant charge tool?

Since household freezers are disposable commodities these days, I guess techs don't go out and fix them anymore.

No fitting on the comprresor crank case fitting???

Sounds like it needs some gas but that is just a WAG.

Talking

Thats normal, Is it working ok, or is there a reason why your concerned about the frost? I have two upright freezers, and neither one will frost the last coil. The high side valve most likely came on a replacment dryer. If they added a bigger dryer, the charge amount would change. IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Thats normal, Is it working ok, or is there a reason why your concerned about the frost? I have two upright freezers, and neither one will frost the last coil. The high side valve most likely came on a replacment dryer. If they added a bigger dryer, the charge amount would change. IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    It's only 75F inside, and I have it set on medium, yet it runs pretty much all the time. I really do not want this thing using 1,200kWh a year.

That and the fact there's signs of non-factory installed service port, which indicates something went wrong at one point.

yep something went wrong..... its wrong again 75 for a freezer is a tad warm....

If it's freezing for a while, and then getting warm, sounds like moisture in the system, freezing the cap tube. It could be fixed, but could involve some time and experience. Is the 75 degree quote a error?? You can't get any frost if it's 75 degrees! Cap tube systems are very fussy on the amount of gas. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    If it's freezing for a while, and then getting warm, sounds like moisture in the system, freezing the cap tube. It could be fixed, but could involve some time and experience. Is the 75 degree quote a error?? You can't get any frost if it's 75 degrees! Cap tube systems are very fussy on the amount of gas. Good Luck
    I meant only 75 in the house. It's running all the time.

Check evap temp at bottom coil and top coil see if there is big difference or not. Lack of frost on the bottom coil might be false alarm. Is there an open condenser or is it in the lining?

This thing failed two weeks after I bought it
    Came to find compressor seized up after everything melted

"disposable". You already know what to do.

It was a US made freezer and from the fact it uses R12 means its 17+ yrs old.
    It's wider than any 5 cu ft you can find today. I ended up replacing it with a 5 cu ft that's tall and skinny which doesn't even hold full size pizza and utilization of interior space isn't as good as wide, deep and short style.