Thread: HP used for condenser only.

Post Likes
    I just replaced a 3-ton heat pump. The office of the company I work for told me to replace it with another HP even though it was being used only for an AC condenser.
    The unit replaced was a old Carrier unit that worked off the contactor being energized.
    The new unit is a Bryant HP model 223R. The book that came with the unit shows it wired to a HP t-stat.
    The house has a HW t87 t-stat. I did install a 13 seer evap coil.
    Can I make this run just as a AC condenser unit using the 2-wire 24 volt contactor circuit coming form the gas furnace?
    I only have the HP t-stat schematic to go from.
    The obvious is obvious

Post Likes
    Only difference is the RV. If it's not energised in cooling, you're fine. If it is, jumper from Con to RV.

should post in pro forum.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Technically, you can run it in AC mode only. Your contractor should know how to do it. Reversing valve will be in cooling "position" (can't find a better word).

Post Likes
    I understand standard AC, heat pumps are not used in my area. Is there a web site available for this unit which I could see a wiring diagram and get a clear picture of what is being said here. The reversing valve is my concern, do I need to energize it or not, to used the AC. A wiring diagram would make it clear for me.
    One reason I am weary of working on this HP is that there is a small copper line with a Schrader valve on it between the suction and liquid lines at the compressor. The manual that came with this unit does not even show that line or what it is for. I would like some more information on this unit before I start it.
    Thanks.
    The obvious is obvious

Post Likes
    That unit has the rv energized in cooling. So just energize "O" all the time.

The line your talking about, is just a port thats connected to the compressor's suvtion line, so you can read the suction pressure is heat mode.

Post Likes
    Ok thanks. Can I energize the valve using O and the two contactor wires that run out to the unit? If so what goes were?
    Without the wiring diagram I am lost.
    The obvious is obvious

Post Likes
    you can just tie "y" and "o" together.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ascj
    you can just tie "y" and "o" together.
    on some systems that will cause the heat to start.

Post Likes
    Not on the system he bought.

Post Likes
    I can hear the whoooooshhhhhhh... from here,,, every time it cycles off...

Why not install the proper Thermostat like a thermidastat and make the unit operate properly since that is what they bought..

This makes no sense at all.. Why install a new heat pump to just use as an A/C...

How long have you been installing systems? You could use some training on heat pump wiring and comprehension..

Goodluck
    J

Post Likes
    Yes I agree, it makes no sense, this was an insurance claim. The existing unit was a heat pump that was being used for AC only, on a gas furnace. I asked for a condenser but the insurance company sent me a heat pump instead because that is what the claim was for and refused to listen to me. I had already invested time and money on this job so I put it in.
    I can fix anything if I can look at a wiring diagram, but I had to leave the panel on the unit because of the rain, and cannot find anything on line.
    Training on heat pumps? I would jump at the chance but in my area, south of Boston, it is never offered. The use of heat pumps in this area is almost non-existent. I do think that may changing with some of new systems coming out that will work in this part of the country.
    The obvious is obvious

Post Likes

you can't find what doesn't exist

jrc, the wiring diagram needed to run a hp as a standard a/c doesn't exist. you must create your own. ascj told you what needs to be done. if you need a sketch of what has been said, my emails in my profile, i'll draw it out for you.

Post Likes
    check out the R.S.E.S,im sure they got a chapter near you,you can get some good training,join up,its worth every penny.

Post Likes
    I did belong it was great but the chapter is in another state. Now with the price of gas what it is, not feasible.

[Edited by jrc2905 on 06-25-2006 at 06:00 PM]
    The obvious is obvious

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in