Post Likes

Conversion from R-22 on York YCAD0200EC46

Has anyone had any experience/ luck converting from R-22 in a York Screw? Spoke with a friend who just retired from York/Johnson his only experience was trying to do an MO-99 conversion that gave them fits with terminal seals starting to leak, capacity issues etc. They went back to R-22. He said some other York techs have had some success with 407 C.

We have a customer that wants to change from R-22. Any advice on leaving/changing oils, adjustment of sensors/transducers, better refrigerants to use would be appreciated.

I appreciate any comments/concerns you guys have.

Thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    Never did a conversation on a screw chiller, but I did quite a few on the York recips.
    Used R407C and never had an issue. But on the screw's, I don't know.

Post Likes
    Thanks I appreciate your reply.Were there any issues. Did you get all the mineral oil out or just a,percentage?

Any suggestions on making a recip. change out more efficient?
    Thanks again

Post Likes
    I wanted to do 407c to a wcws0220 when I replaced compressor #1 sobi contacted York to see if we could do it and keep the compressor warranty. They said that they don't support it and warranty would be voided.

Post Likes
    No, there were no issues that I can remember from at the time. Though it was about 12 to 14 years ago since I did the last one.
    Plus the units I had had EEV's back then.

I can only speak for the York recips. Just run her on a full load on the R22 for a few hours to get all you oil back.
    Change the driers and you gas and the oil.
    I would then run them for a few hours on the new gas nat full load, and then do another oil change.
    I remember having to change the fans settings due to the R407C, but apart from that, there were no other issues.

I did a R22 conversion to R407C on the York LCHH chillers also. Water cooled version of the recips, and had no issues then either.
    There was a small adjustment on the EEV's I think just to get the superheats right.
    I didn't check the efficiency at that time as that was the least of the customers worries, but I would imagine it would be less efficient.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info guys. We are changing 4 compressors on Trane unit that another contractor did a MO-99 conversion on. On the ICOR website it states Trane won't warranty it in a 3D Scroll.

Post Likes
    The YCAS YCWS came with R-407C. Both had York L oil in them. Not sure if the D style ever was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The one we have is 22. Had a leak, customer wants 22 pulled and converted. I am just wanting to make sure we don't end up owning it.

Post Likes
    Might be time to replace with something more modern and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes tylerfourhman, CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    I wouldn't do it unless it's approved by the manufacturer or you will own it.