I'm starting at the low end in combatting my humidity issues from my basement. I have an off the shelf 65 pint dehumidifer that will be connected to a drain line.

As of now it's doing the job in NJ for the time being. My question is in my basement, can I place it near a water heater? Would it adversly affect it? I have a 3ft by 7 foot room with the water heater in there and a boiler and a central vac motor. There's just about enough space to place it on a shelf in there in the corner. Right now I have it on the floor in the middle of the basement but that will be moved due to the drainage issue.

I want to move it in that room to reduce the noise level from the dehumidifer as well as getting it out of the way. The room has a full top to bottom louvered double doors for air penetration.

Nothing in literature?

I don't know of any science regarding where a dehumidifier should be located, to give good results. If there is any, I would love to get a link, an article, anything solid.

In my own house I started out with a location simply because it was close to a drain, and it worked out better than I expected. Makes me think if you try out your dehu in that room, it will probably deliver good results. I will be interested in learning whether the dehu pros will agree.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Thanks pstu. I'll just throw it in there and see how it works. It seems to keep the humidity down but it's really bad on the heat. Hot air coming out of it is definately raising the room temp. The basement is hotter than the first floor, which is never the case in the house.

With the AC on, the air circulates fine and the temps are a little more evened out. The basement is also less humid than the first floor, even with the AC running, so it must be working as it should be.

I'm sick of emptying buckets, so in goes the drain for it.

Originally posted by cissado
    Thanks pstu. I'll just throw it in there and see how it works. It seems to keep the humidity down but it's really bad on the heat. Hot air coming out of it is definately raising the room temp. The basement is hotter than the first floor, which is never the case in the house.

With the AC on, the air circulates fine and the temps are a little more evened out. The basement is also less humid than the first floor, even with the AC running, so it must be working as it should be.

I'm sick of emptying buckets, so in goes the drain for it.
    Have some return air ducts installed in your basement and then you would not neet the dehumidifier. The air condiioner would then suck all the moisture out of the basement. After all, an air conditioner # 1 job is to remove humidity.

Thorton

Any air going through the dehumidifier comes out of the dehumidifier. So there is no worries about negative or positive pressures, upon placement.