pannell mechanical

Have an interview Tuesday. Anybody know anything about working for them in the North Florida area?

Nope but seen there trucks around here, all commercial right?

guy told me they deal mainly with sonic's, olive garden, those kinda places. I don't really care, just want to talk to him. I work all resi and am just exploring options. Have done a little commercial, smoothie kings, private rest. work all cold side. The guy called me and asked if I wanted an interview. SURE!!

Hmmmm, you are paid by billable hour....I guess that means you are not getting paid to drive to their accounts.....or their callbacks........but I went to the first interview and it was pretty good. Going to talk to him in a couple days........

To me the "billable hour" payment would have to be pretty healthy to make it work. Otherwise you're losing money on warranty work, drive time, and stuff like that. Do they base their time on a flat rate book, or t&m actual time on job? I'd ask a lot of questions as to how this is figured and is there any kind of incentive monies built in to job? "Billable hours" plus some percentage of net/gross would sound better. You could do a lot of free driving and make about what you are now or less after a long day! I've talked with guys who did the "billable hours" thing and worked 12-14 hour days in order to "bill" 8 hours.

Holler back, sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Hmmmm, you are paid by billable hour....I guess that means you are not getting paid to drive to their accounts.....or their callbacks........but I went to the first interview and it was pretty good. Going to talk to him in a couple days........
    You should ask him to clarify whats billable hours actually means.

If it doesnt include travel to and from jobs I wouldnt take it.

I have worked on the billable hour before and It can work out. We billed all our drive time. so I was possible to charge 14 hours for 12 worked. For example drive 45 min to area and have two calls next to each other. Both got billed the 45 min drive to their shop. I got the 14. I also charged time to go get parts. I guess the thing that made it work is some suit was not deciding if it was billable I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    I have worked on the billable hour before and It can work out. We billed all our drive time. so I was possible to charge 14 hours for 12 worked. For example drive 45 min to area and have two calls next to each other. Both got billed the 45 min drive to their shop. I got the 14. I also charged time to go get parts. I guess the thing that made it work is some suit was not deciding if it was billable I was.
    I am very curious how he/they figure the whole thing. CallBacks aren't billable if it was a real callback. That could get interesting.........He hasn't called back, I figure either Friday or Monday he will call. I have to be patient.....I think all the billing is done on the computer and they don't really work out of a shop, you manage your parts/stock. Create your own PO's etc.

I'd want to talk to some present employees, or at least previous employees to "feel" this out. Don't jump into this.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I am very curious how he/they figure the whole thing. CallBacks aren't billable if it was a real callback. That could get interesting.........He hasn't called back, I figure either Friday or Monday he will call. I have to be patient.....I think all the billing is done on the computer and they don't really work out of a shop, you manage your parts/stock. Create your own PO's etc.
    Tim Hensley is a great guy, Pannell is a decent company, I worked for Tim about 12 years ago before starting my own thing, and we still talk every couple of years. If you're still undecided, I'm looking to fill 2 positions as well, give me a shout.

Hey Krzyd, are ya'll resi or comm company?

We are commercial/industrial, primarily commercial in Jacksonville.
    http://www.star-service.com

Krzyd, sent you an email in your profile.