+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Home- Undersized Ductwork

Post Likes
    I would ask to see the load calc. Call him prior to your meeting and request that he bring it. If he doesn't have one, strongly suggest he get one. You're not being unreasonable at all. It's not as though you are just "using" him to get a load calc done for you. He has the job already, so providing you with the report should not be a problem. If he doesn't have one, as others have said, call a halt to construction until one can be presented. Once you know what size equipment you need, go from there. The duct isn't hidden behind drywall yet, is it?
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    You will never be happy knowing the ductwork is undersized and the system is underperforming. I'd rip it out and do it myself. I could care less what the builder says if it's my house.

Post Likes
    You're an HVAC guy and you know what your looking at when it comes to duct work.
    But what about the low bid contractors that are doing all the other work in the house. Are they all taking shortcuts to keep themselves in good standing with the building. We have all seen hack builders, are you sure your eyes aren't cloudy with dream home thoughts.

One easy thing to check is for squeaky floors. That's something that bugs me in new houses.

Were do the footing drains go? Are they connected and draining away from you finished basement.

Post Likes
    That's a good point. Everything else looks fine but I'm not a plumber or carpenter.

Post Likes
    Man From Trane it is time to stand up for yourself in this matter.Give hvac guy chance to fix if not go to builder.If he won't get it right go to county ask them to make sure it is right.

Post Likes
    I just found out what he's being paid to put the system in, equipment and all. We can't even replace a 2 ton a/c and 80% furnace for that amount.

Post Likes
    The biggest expense you will likely have in your lifetime? Cant believe you needed to ask. I would be the biggest jerk these people ever saw or ever will see again! I hate confrontation too, but save that thought for a new recliner or something, not your house! GL
    II Chronicles 7:14 Galatians 2:20 Ephesians 2:8-9

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    I just found out what he's being paid to put the system in, equipment and all. We can't even replace a 2 ton a/c and 80% furnace for that amount.
    Does he even have a HVAC contractor license? Low bid is why he works for a building contractor...

Post Likes
    man from trane unfortunately he agrred to the terms of the builder.Shame on the builder trying to squeeze profit out of jobs by bullying subs to do work for nothing at you expense.At least that is how it sounds

Post Likes
    waiting for the outcome :banghead:
    not sure how it is where you live but the print should have a certain certified stamp on them which would mean it has to have a heat load to get stamps .don't short yourself you'll regret for the rest of time you live there .
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I'm going through the same thing right now building a house with a bunch of hack subs. Is a 20x25x1 a bad filter size for a 5 ton vertical unit? They will have a 36x 14 return grill in the wall at the unit and two other 12x12 returns in the media and master.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
    I'm going through the same thing right now building a house with a bunch of hack subs. Is a 20x25x1 a bad filter size for a 5 ton vertical unit? They will have a 36x 14 return grill in the wall at the unit and two other 12x12 returns in the media and master.

That's over 1100 feet per minute on the return grille and the filter... Sounds like it would be a little noisy in a residential system...

Post Likes
    I don't think a load calc is required. I was told that the inspector doesn't even look at size, just that it's sealed correctly.

So he agreed to add 2 8" returns to the main. Then I'll just see where the ESP ends up after they finish it.

Post Likes
    Ford, yes that will be noisy. Where is the return cut into the unit? Most manufacturers require entrance from the bottom, bottom and side, or both sides for 2,000 CFM.

Post Likes
    Bottom of the unit and the return will be in a Chase in the wall. I have them adding a 4" media filter tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Good luck with that..

Post Likes
    train I hope yours looks better than fords now I know why don't get the bids.lol I'd pass up the job before I did something like that

Post Likes
    Mine looks great...for a 2.5 ton system! Too bad it's 4 tons. At least it will not be humid in the house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    Mine looks great...for a 2.5 ton system! Too bad it's 4 tons. At least it will not be humid in the house.
    Come on man. Don't settle for this!

Post Likes
    Regret can be prevented but not changed once you have it. Good luck,maybe you'll need a high static fan motor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in