Thread: Did I get quality duct work? Small leaks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Did I get quality duct work? Small leaks

I have no idea why, but when my home was built, flex duct was used everywhere. The attic was a mess, there were air leaks and kinks everywherer, airflow to the farthest points was minimal, unfortunately that longest run was to the master bedroom.

This is what it looked like originally:

In Mid Feb, I had the ductwork corrected. They extended the main trunk and shortened all the flex. This was the much improved end result:

Flow is much better overall.

Since we only turned the AC on a week ago, I decided to go into the attic and look for leaks. I was not thrilled with the workmanship as I watched it unfold.

Basically I overheard the crew had lost the special staple gun required to staple the hard ductboard together, so it has no staples, but they did use a firestop adhesive 'when they remembered' which seemed odd.

They taped all the joints on the ductboard, but did not use mastic on the undersides of any joint.

I found 5 small leaks where the flex enters the ductboard truck. I'd assume that small leaks are unacceptable workmanship right? They are where the flex attaches to the butterfly damper which enters the ductboard. The dampers were not sealed/taped to the ductboard, just the tabs were bent into place. The flex was tie-wrapped to the damper, and the whole thing was coated with mastic.

so I have a few concerns.

1. The ductboard was not stapled as it appears it should have been
    2. The underside of the ductboard was taped, but not sealed with mastic like all other 'easily accessible' areas.
    3. Small leaks in the flex attachment.

all valid concerns?

Post Likes
    The corrected duct system looks like a massive improvement over the original flexmonster.

The small leaks through the holes at the dampers generally are not that big of a deal, but the lack of staples has the potential to become an issue at some point.

Staples are for holding the ductboard together, tape and mastic are for sealing.

Post Likes
    I had the company back out this morning. They resealed around the dampers with mastic and fixed 2 small leaks where they did some plenum work.
    I questioned the staples again, and they were still not concerned. Told me that the new style tape they used will hold it together.
    I can see paying to have it redone in a few years. We'll see.

Post Likes
    The lack of staples isn't the end of the world- the duct looks like it is supported well and if the tape went on clean it should last a long time.
    If you start having square dances up there and the duct gets slammed around it might fall apart.

What kind of psychopath put that water heater up there? When that breaks (and someday it will) the duct work coming apart will be the least of your problems. You will have to drag it full of rust and funk over your new fiberboard duct work to replace it. I'm sure there is a sturdy "hide a step" ladder to go down too.
    There had to be a better place for it.
    Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.- Mark Twain

Post Likes
    I actually have 2 water heaters in the attic! Crazy isn't it.
    They have pans (though small) and drain lines to the exterior, so if there is a small leak, it should be managed. both water heaters have access doors within 2-3 feet of them. All water lines are also in the attic, they are all pex, so I have a few potential long term issues.

Post Likes
    That is crazy.

What about all that Romex strewn throughout the space? Did you do that?

A licensed electrician? What will you do if you want to put flooring down?

If an electrician did that was it inspected?

Sorry if I'm picking apart your attic but the first picture is ridiculous- like I never thought anybody would look up here ridiculous, and the second shows more problems IMO.
    Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.- Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BSunday21 View Post
    That is crazy.

What about all that Romex strewn throughout the space? Did you do that?

A licensed electrician? What will you do if you want to put flooring down?

If an electrician did that was it inspected?

Sorry if I'm picking apart your attic but the first picture is ridiculous- like I never thought anybody would look up here ridiculous, and the second shows more problems IMO.
    That is pretty much how almost every house built in the last 60+ years is wired in my area.
    They have just thrown it out across wherever it lands every since knob and tube wiring went out of style...

Post Likes
    Should have used metal ductwork.

Post Likes
    Not my wiring, that was all existing. I an only assume about the inspections, it is a single family custom home, we are the second owners.

No adding rooms up stairs, lots of single and double tray ceilings throughout, so the attic floor is not anywhere near flat.

Post Likes
    that trunk line looks awful small for all those take-offs.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in