What would you do?

Frown

I work for a company that has 5 service techs and 2 install crews-2 man teams.Here is the problem.One of the crew leaders picked up his contractors lisence and now he's doing halfass work.He said this is his last summer working for our boss.NO one knows he has his lisence but me.After work he is out doing for himself.I know his work has to be better than what he puts out at my shop.He does'nt vacume systems,leaves restrictions,does'nt properly secure sensing bulbs ie:zip ties or duct tape.He even dragged a line set under a moble home with the ends open.took me forever to clean out all the crap.I am to the point of smacking him.Today the same thing.Restriction on a ductless minisplit.4 hours waisted.I could've sold a unit or 2 in that time.He probably would screw those up too.Any ideas?

don't worry he will carry that with him down the road of life with no pride in what he does now he will do that for his own company....
    and it all comes back its called karma
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

If you have a good relationship with the owner of the company, let him/her know whats going on.

The guy your talking about is a reflection of the whole company in the customers eyes.

How do you like how he is representing you?

If nothing else get someone to start QCing his jobs, I check every job we do. That will keep you out of the picture. Call backs like this hurt a company financially, and since raises are based on profit his screwing up will cost you in the end.

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

just another contractor !?, give me a break!

the only difference between a good tech and a contractor is a paper that says u can legally rip somone off, thats quoted from a contractor for over 35 years in the trade as a contractor!
    most contractors got their start doing side jobs, they all whine, how the costs of doing business is , all the way to the bank, but never do the work, that they complain so much about, or that makes them who they are or gets them and keeps them where they are, not all but a fair amount!

as for their complaints they whine cause they think , theyre the only ones that pay taxes, when i did work i pay my taxes, whether its on the side or not, pay a tech good and he wont do them!
    and if that not the issue then dont whine!
    this guys work is crappy, then it will show and dont babysit him or take responsability for his work, or work with him when the boss wants u too, and tell him what kind of work hes doing in front of him so he cant lie or blame u for it!
    if hes got a conscience at all , he will take ownership and correct it , and respect u for not doing his dirty work, or not picking up his slack!

all contractors , got their start and customers doing side work, , coming from a supply house owner with many contractor friends over 40 yrs in the trade!
    free enterprise! competition and work speaks for itself, cheap cutthroat prices and non payment of taxes and crappy work will defat ones own purpose and drive a new company or contractor right out of business, it will all catch up to him sooner or later!
    and that can be him his own worst enemy , can be himself!

hvac45, is right it will affect the companys reputation , too, and will affect you as a group!

Originally posted by hvac45
    If nothing else get someone to start QCing his jobs, I check every job we do. That will keep you out of the picture. Call backs like this hurt a company financially, and since raises are based on profit his screwing up will cost you in the end.
    I will drop that idea on the owner monday.Found a new install tripping the main breaker Thurs.100 amp main breaker feeding a sub panel rated at 100 amps.New 10 ton condenser drawing 90 LRA on start up.When I checked the sub panel, where he ran his power for the new equipment,I added up all the breakers.The total of all the breakers was 210amps.Just a little over would'nt you say?Something has to change.