Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wet filter(Lennox Elite Heat pump)

Hello,
    New to the forum..
    I am looking for advice on why my Lennox Elite series heat pump is not draining properly and causing my filter to get wet while cooling my house.

I checked for a clogged condensate drain line by running a snake through and it seems as though it is NOT clogged. The water is sitting in the bottom tray like it is stuck there. It doesnt seem to be overflowing the trays edge though. It is more like sweat is getting on to the side of the tray and causing the insulation on the front panel to get the filter wet.

The AC seems to be working great and keeping the house cool..

What can be causing this?

Thank you in advance!
    Jon

Pictures would be great!.....and helpful
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

I have the filter out and system off since it cooled down today and I was worried about damage to the unit. It is hard to see in the pic but there's 1/4" of water in the tray. And the side of the tray was wet when I opened it up yesterday after the system was running. But no more water in the tray at that time. I first thought it was from te filter being dirty so I dried out the tray and replaced the filter and let it run to find it had water in it again and the new filter was slightly wet on the edge where the insulation of the panel is close to it. I do have 3 vents closed(don't know if that would cause any concern)

The drain needs to have a ptrap installed. The negative pressure on the drain will cause the air handler to hold water in and when it shuts off the water will rush down the drain. Sometimes overflowing the drain and thus getting the filter wet.
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

I had this same problem, and it took the city coming to inspect the job and unit to notice there wasn't a ptrap installed. Once the city told the company they had to come back and install a ptrap there was no more problems. Good luck.

There is nothing like pictures to illustrate your point.

Missing P-trap
    Empty P-traps
    Missing Cap P-trap
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Is a p trap just like a trap in normal plumbing? There is a trap just out of the pics on the left. There is a drop off into a trap and on top is a cap I can pull off to look down in the trap. Sorry don't have a pic of that can get one when I get a chance. Plus, it's been working fine for 6 yrs so if hat I describe is not a ptrap why an issue now?
    Thanks for the replies!

Sorry. Just noticed the videos after my reply. Mine is like the missing cap ptrap.

The extra water in the pan won't go away. The pan is designed to hold some water even after the unit shuts off.

First things first, open all the vents. Just cause you close some don't mean you gonna get more air somewhere else.

Second, your stopped up filter probably caused the new filter to get wet.

Change your filter monthly, open your vents and this problem should correct itself. If not call a pro to come check it out.
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    The extra water in the pan won't go away. The pan is designed to hold some water even after the unit shuts off.

First things first, open all the vents. Just cause you close some don't mean you gonna get more air somewhere else.

Second, your stopped up filter probably caused the new filter to get wet.

Change your filter monthly, open your vents and this problem should correct itself. If not call a pro to come check it out.
    So it is supposed to have water laying it in like that? does it only drain when it gets to a certain level?

Also, the closed vents are in the bathrooms cause we don't like the cold air blowing while showering..still not a good idea to close them?

thanks!

I can not see the pictures at work, but if this is a downflow, it needs a downflow kit which is this s shaped metal that snaps into the drain pan.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

The pan needs a strong pitch toward the drain line. If the evap has positive pressure, the trap has nothing to do with draining.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Weaver View Post
    I can not see the pictures at work, but if this is a downflow, it needs a downflow kit which is this s shaped metal that snaps into the drain pan.
    Is it a down flow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast